Getting images from airtable to Google docs

Hi, can someone please let me know how to add images to google docs? I know that {{this}} is to retrieve text, but what to do if I have images?

Thanks

Hey @pjero,

Great to see your question here in the community! :slight_smile:

I just wanted to clarify that this is a community of Make users helping out and sharing knowledge. This means we don’t have access to any of your scenarios, organizations etc.
It’s therefore always best to share some screenshots so that the community can see what’s going on in your scenarios visually.

Detailed information could be provided for example by an:

1. overview of your scenario setup (functions, mappings, variables etc.)
  2. the input area of the module you are having trouble with
  3. the output area of the module you are getting data from

Thank you!

In case you think this is not needed, please disregard this message. I have send this message by automation since you don’t have any attachments.

hi @pjero ,
There is a module that does exactly that. It’s Google Docs > Insert an image to a document.

1 Like

Thank you, I will try to implement that. :slight_smile:

I have tried this but I dont understand how I specify the location where the photos should be in the document?
What setup should I use?

This is how my scenario looks now…

Ok, I see your point. Well, I played with it and here is how it seems to work.

First of all, your choice of where to put the image is limited:

1. Append it at the end of the document
  2. Put it in the header / footer / header + footer
  3. Place it at a specified position. This sounds good, but it’s not all that useful. I’ll explain…

Option 1: Append it at the end of the document
The image will end up at the end of the document. Literally. So, if your doc has say 5 pages the image will land at the end of page 5, or at the beginning of page 6 (if it won’t fit).

Option 2: Put it in the header / footer / header + footer
The image will be placed to the header / footer / header + footer (based on your choice) on every single page! So, say you choose to place the image in the header only and your document has 3 pages. In this case, the image will appear in the header section on every single page, e.g. 3 times.

For this to work, you need to create header / footer in your document.

I guess this is useful for templated documents, like a logo or something you want to be displayed consistently on each page.

Option 3: Place it at a specified position
Well, this one looks promising, but I got disappointing results. The index (a number) is simply the caret position in the document. For example, if you append the image at index 5, it will be placed on the first line of the document on the 5th position on this line. I think it’s best to see an example:

Summary
The only sensible choices as far as I am concerned are either header and footer or appending to the end of the doc. What is missing in my opinion is the ability to choose a specific section in the document - something like “place the image on the first line following the heading XYZ”. I am sure it can be done, but it’s not provided out of the box.

2 Likes

I see, thank you for the detailed explanation. I will most probably just use the first option to append it at the end of the document.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like