🎥 [Watch Again] Job Portal with Airtable, Softr and Make

Hey Makers :wave:

Javier from the Growth team here! Last Wednesday we co-hosted a webinar with the fellows of NoCodeDevs. Thanks Art West for giving us the opportunity to showcase this project!!

In short, we’ve built a job portal using Airtable as our database, Softr as front-end interface and Make to connect all the bits and pieces between those two - and other third-party tools - plus some cool stuff to transform the incoming data.

:arrow_down: Here’s the webinar recording in case you missed it out :arrow_down:

Here’s the public site built on Softr → https://remote-jobs-portal.softr.app/
(I know it’s not the prettiest one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: , but it serves its educational purpose)

There were two scenarios running in the background (see blueprints below).

Scenario Blueprint_New Subscriber.json (18.7 KB)
Scenario Blueprint_Apply Form Webhook.json (39.1 KB)

Essentially we’ve built:

1. A scenario that processes new subscribers, adds them to our Airtable base, and adds them to a Mailchimp list

1. A scenario that processes new job applications, adds a record to the Applicants base, automatically links it to the job offer, searches for currency type in the salary amount and calls an API to convert it to the current exchange rate - lastly send an email to the user. All of that in one scenario.

Q&A

Lastly, there were some questions that we couldn’t cover during the webinar, so here you have our answers:

• Why would you have a different datastore for the currency information in Make and not in Airtable?
    It doesn’t make any difference in terms of performance to run the scenario, it was more of a decision to show you the possibilities of the data store module. One reason though, could be, if you like to avoid other users to see that sensitive information in the Airtable base.

• Do you know if there is api connectivity betweeen Super.so and Make? For example, that button functionality "send”?
    I’m not sure whether that button exists inside Super.so - but if it does, it should act as a HTTP Post request - and if you know a bit of coding I believe you can build that kind of feature yourself with an HTTP module and webhook.

• What makes Make better than Zapier?
    First, there’s nothing wrong on using Zapier. In my opinion, it’s just a matter on how would you like to build workflows or automations. I prefer to do it in a visual canvas instead of in a linear process. If you’re interested in a more comprehensive comparison - check this article.

• How many operations will consume that workflow in Make?
    By that, I’m assuming the second one listed above (apply form). It consumes 7 operations each run, because the way operations are counted is when the module is initiated. More info here.

• So a good practice could put the logic (conditionals, loops, etc) must be written in some cloud and use POST requests to webhooks in MAKE?
    I don’t fully understand the question, but you can build whatever logic in your desired SaaS or cloud tools and then connect it with Make - or if those tools don’t allow you to create transformations you can use functions and formulas inside Make.

Hope you enjoy or yet have to enjoy the webinar!

Let us know if it sparked any idea you want to test out and feel free to showcase it below :arrow_down:

8 Likes

What a treat of a summary @Javier_Make :sunglasses:

The workshop was an absolute blast! Thanks so much for introducing the tools and walking us through the use case! I believe it’s fair to say that we all learned something new thanks to that session :brain:

It’s no secret that this is just the beginning of our collab with the great guys of the Nocodedevs. So much to look forward to! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

This was really helpful… Waiting for more to come…

1 Like