BigCartel -> Notion database (Creating and Updating Database)

Hello

I’m very new to Make.Com, and automations in general, but I hoped to gain help here.
I’m trying to make 2 automations

1. Create a database entry in Notion whenever a product is launched on Big Cartel
  2. Update the same database entry in Notion whenever the product is edited (description, price, status, etc)

So far, I have used the ‘Watch Product Action’ Trigger from Big Cartel, which easily creates a new database entry. However I’m racking my brain on how I filter it, so it updates the listing in Notion whenever I edit the product listing on BigCartel.

So far I have gotten it to update a specific database item, that I can choose thru the ‘Database Item ID’. But shouldn’t be possible to say ‘if this product has this ID, update that listing’?

I know it probably has something to do with filters, but being the noob I am, I can’t seem to figure it out.

It sounds like you are on the right track with using the ‘Watch Product Action’ Trigger from Big Cartel. You can use filters to update the same database entry in Notion whenever the product is edited. You can use the ‘Database Item ID’ to specify which item to update. If you need more help, please provide more details about your automations and we can help you further.

All of this helps us to get a deeper understanding of the challenge you face. :make:

Hi. Yes, you can use filters to update a specific database entry in Notion based on the ID of the product in Big Cartel. Here’s an overview of how you can set it up:

1. Create a scenario in Make that triggers when a product is edited on Big Cartel.
  2. Add a “Filter” action to the scenario, and set the condition to check if the ID of the product in Big Cartel matches the ID of the database entry in Notion.
  3. If the condition is met, add a “Update Database Item” action to update the corresponding entry in Notion.
  4. If the condition is not met, add a “Stop” action to end the scenario, preventing the “Update Database Item” action from running.

You can also use the “Search for Items” action to search for the specific product in your Notion database by using the product ID and then use the “Update Database Item” action to update it.

It’s worth noting that, when you create a new product on Big Cartel, it will not have an ID until it is saved. So you will need to wait for the next trigger of the scenario to be able to use the ID to update the product.

If you need additional support, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Cheers
//HFBR

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, I have tried to do as mentioned above, but with no luck so far.

I will try to clear up my problem. So far I have a workspace i Notion, with following properties: Name, Description, Default Price, and Product ID.

I have an automation set up that the following way

1. Big Cartel - ‘Watch Product Actions’. This should as far as I’m concerned watch for all actions made to a product.
  2. That goes to a Router that each goes to their separate action.
    2.1 - One route has a filter that is ‘Big Cartel ID - Doesn’t exist’. This goes to an action ‘Create new database entry’ - THIS WORKS
    2.2 - The other route filters where the ‘Big Cartel ID does exist’ (it should look for updates to products, rather than creating new entries in Notion). I have an action there with ‘Search Object’ that afterward goes to an ‘Update database entry’. It’s here I’m having a struggle to figure out what exactly to put in ‘Database Item ID’, since it’s there the problem arise (as far as I can tell from testing it a million times). I can only choose existing items in the database. What do I put in to make it … dynamic so it searches for the database entry I’m looking for.

I have attached pictures to hopefully make it more understandable.

1. My current scenario overview.

2. The ‘Search Object’, where I’m searching for entries where the Product ID matches the ID of the product on Big Cartel.

3. The ‘Update Notion Database Entry’, where I’m struggling to figure out what to put in Database Item ID.

4. The error message I receive.

It sounds like you should map the “Database Item ID”/“Page ID” from the “Search Objects” module.

That will update the Notion item found in the “Search Object” module. Let us know how this goes.
Untitled (59)

1 Like

I will try that - thank you for your answer :)!

1 Like