Etsy API Call POST File

I am trying to create a digital listing with a file or upload a file to an existing digital listing on Etsy. So far I’ve been successful on everything except the file upload itself. Since the Etsy integration doesn’t have an upload file module, only an upload image module, I’ve been trying to use the Etsy API call module as I’ve also failed at getting an oath 2 token (Etsy page states app not recognised when using oath 2.0 module).

The files I’ve uploaded always give me the error “Either a valid listing_file_id or file must be provided.”

Note: when I replace ‘file’ with ‘listing_file_id’ and an integer I am able to find the file or it gives me an error stating that that file doesn’t exist. So I assume the problem is in the way I send the file.

I’ve tried sending the file data, using encodeURL, base64 and other methods, as well as changing content-type. Nothing seems to be working.

In the HTTP request module when choosing content type and selecting multipart/form-data you are able to select file, and with the upload image module you can select your image directly, however since I have little experience when it comes to coding I am unable to figure out how those modules send files (as stated earlier I tried using HTTP with the file but I don’t have a token)

Have you tried using Postman to see if it work there?

1 Like

I’m not sure if this will help, but when I was trying to make one of these API calls, I had to add additional scopes to my connection to make it work.

You could try setting up a new connection to Etsy, and in the window that comes up, click to open the “advanced settings” area. There’s a space there to enter one or more additional scopes. For example, the one I was trying to do (change a shop message) needed “shops_r” and “shops_w”. Maybe peruse the Etsy API docs to see if file uploading needs one or more of these additional scopes?? [This page in the docs seems to indicate it might need “listings_r” and “listings_w”.]

Like I said, no idea if the scopes thing is what’s making this fail, but who knows - maybe it’ll do the trick.

1 Like

Tried this suggestion, I thought for sure you were onto something but it still gets the same error as before (same as OP)

I’ve reached out to etsy support as well hopefully we can resolve it. Having a similar issue uploading images as well as files