Extracting contents from a .gz file extension

I am using the HTTP module to get a file from a remote server. The file has the extension .gz, meaning it’s a compressed file using GZIP. I can download this file on my PC and extract it using 7zip without any issues.

I need to extract the files inside the .gz file to use it in a downstream module (there is a CSV file inside the .gz archive). I tried using the ‘Archive’ module, but it fails with an error that it only supports .zip files.

Anyone know an easy way of extracting the .gz file? I would prefer not to have to send it to a conversion service, as the .csv file contains a lot of personal information.

Welcome to the Make community!

The opposite of gzip is gunzip.

Check out the built-in Archive integration modules.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! happy to be here.

The Archive module only supports .zip extension. I tried using it, but it throws an error:

There’s a Gunzip module in the Archive integration. You might be using the wrong module.

2 Likes

Hi @Mesh_ID ,

Please find in attachement the blueprint of a scenario that download a gzip file from my Google drive and decompressed it using gunzip.
gzip.json (14.6 KB)

For testing, I compressed a file using gzip on my computer, then I uploaded it on my drive, and the Make scenario:

• download the file
  • uncompresses the file
  • upload the uncompressed file to my Google drive.

I hope it helps

2 Likes

Thanks @Philippe_Billet and @samliew - I was indeed not seeing the GZIP option inside the Archive module, as I had picked ZIP originally. Got it working now!