Looping through Notion database to update rows

I have a list of URLs in a notion document I need to iterate through to pull URLs from. Is there a way to:

1. Connect to the Notion Database
  2. Pull the url from a single row
  3. Evaluate it in second module
  4. Take a value from the second module and add it to the same row as the url.

Thanks.

Hi @rainmanjam, this sounds possible, and I have a few clarifying questions:

1. Where are the URLs you would like to pull? Do you have 1 URL per row in a Notion database?
  2. What do you mean by “evaluate it in second module”? Which tools would you use for that?
  3. Did you already try anything to achieve your task in Make? If yes, what did you try?
1 Like

Thanks for your follow up.

1. That is correct. I have 1 URL per row in my notion database.
  2. I would like to pass that URL into an HTTP GET request, parse the data, and then return several values in the matching row.
  3. Not yet.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
It sounds like you need the following modules:

1. Notion “watch database item” OR “search objects” module (depending on when you want the automation to trigger)
  2. HTTP module for your GET request, where the URL is mapped from module 1
  3. Iterator to parse the output from #2
  4. Notion “update database item” module, where the database item ID is mapped from #1, and the URL is mapped from #3

Let me know if that makes sense or anything is missing

1 Like

So it looks like that flow worked, and I have just two more questions.

1. Notion API has a 2000 char limit. Is there a way to filter so I can concatenate it down, skip over that step or replace it with something else.
  2. It looks like there is a limit on the number of search objects ingested. What would you recommend to work around that and loop through all of the rows?
  1. You could (a) use the “substring” function in Make to specify the number of characters to pass in the target property; (b) use an if statement similar to this: if(length({{prop1}})>=2000;{{emptystring}};{{prop1}}); or let us know more details and we may find other ways.

2. You can increase the number of results on the Notion “Search Object” module as far as I know (see screenshot) - so I don’t understand what you mean by this, feel free to provide more details if I am missing something

Thank you so much. Everything worked.