Asana - Move task between sections in "My Tasks" project

I hate the fact that Asana dumps all tasks newly assigned to me in the “Recently Assigned” section of My Tasks.

I want to automatically move the task to a different section based on the due date (e.g. if the due date is today, the task should go in the “Today” section.

Does anyone have an idea of how to do that? I know how to watch for new tasks that are assigned to me, just not the action of moving the task to a different section of My Tasks.

Hey @brightleap

I believe the best option here would be to use the ‘Make an API call’ module to call the Add task to section (asana.com) endpoint:

This will add a task to a specific, existing section and also remove the task from other sections of the project.

I would not be sure if this endpoint lets you move tasks between different projects but it is worth a try. I hope this helps you.

3 Likes

Thanks, I eventually got it working from your advice!

I had to make a couple of other API calls to get the section gid, and then could use this call to move the task.

Just for anyone else’s reference doing the same thing, I had to wrap the body of the POST request in a “data” object, like this:

{
    "data":
        {
            "task": "<task id>"
        }
}

I also used the “List Tasks” trigger on a schedule of every 15 mins, as I thought the problem with the “Watch tasks” one could be that a task is often created without a due date, with the due date added afterwards. I wanted to make sure the scenario only processed it once the due date had been added.

Now I just have an issue with Make handling the dates incorrectly, but that’s a separate issue! :person_facepalming:

2 Likes