Converting Column Number to Letter for Cell Address in Google Sheets with make.com

I am working with a make.com automation that involves the ‘Google Sheets - Watch New Rows’ module, where I monitor new entries in a spreadsheet. From the data output of this module, I need to extract the column and row information to construct a cell address that I can use in a subsequent ‘Google Sheets - Update a Cell’ module.

In the output from the ‘Watch New Rows’ module, I receive a number, specifically the number ‘11’, which represents the column. However, for the ‘Update a Cell’ module, I require the corresponding column letter (e.g., ‘L’) that represents this column number in the Google Sheets.

I am encountering a challenge converting the raw column number ‘11’ into its equivalent column letter, as the data type and the conversion method are not immediately clear to me within the context of make.com. I need to find a way to map or convert this number to the correct column letter dynamically, as it will be used to specify the cell address for updating a cell in the spreadsheet.

Many thanks,
Mirek

Welcome to the Make community!

If your column number is <= 26, you can do this

{{ get(split("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"; emptystring); ColumnNumber % 26 + 1) }}

3 Likes

Thank you :smiley:

Unfortunately, is not working:

(I didn’t set row), but column should be L not A, every single time is only A.

Mirek

Hi @Miroslaw_Bagrowski,

I’ve been digging into Google API a lot lately for some recent projects, and as it turns out you could use R1C1 format in many places where a cell is requested, such as in this case.

This should work for you, R5C11

3 Likes

So how I can change:

Into number? I don’t know which type of value is column number from Google Sheets module.

If you know which column “Done?” will be in (in this case, it’s 22), then you can use:

R#C22

3 Likes

Yes, I can write number, it’s no problem, but I’ll try to do this automatic.