Create folder in Google Drive with a combination String and Variable path?

Hi, hope you can help.

Difficult to explain, but I’m looking create subfolders for tracking customer issues raised on Trello in Google Drive, but the subfolder folder location is not fully known at the time I setup the modules.

The Trello ‘card’ can be created on any one of 6 Trello ‘Lists’, namely Inbox, Triage, Pending, Scheduled, Completed and Rejected. When the Trello Card is created, both the card “Short ID” and the “List Name” is exposed to Make.

So for example

• When card 58 is created in the list named “Pending” I want to create folder “#58” in the folder \MYCOMPANYNAME\Snagging\Pending\

• When card 59 is created in the list named “Inbox” I want to create folder “#59” in the folder \MYCOMPANYNAME\Snagging\Inbox\

The Snagging, Pending and Inbox folders in the above examples already exist, I’m just creating a new folder for the card number #58 or #59, etc

The problem is when I initially configure the module, I can’t get the correct ‘List Name’ appended to the “New Folder Location” step, see red underlined section below. If I hit the + button after “Snagging”, a list of existing subfolders opens up fine, but I don’t actually know at that stage which subfolder I want, the subfolder must come from the “List Name” variable established from the previous step. The + button doesn’t show me the variables from the previous step, it just shows me the existing folder tree. If I hit the ‘Map’ button I can then add the variable “List Name”, but not "/ Snagging / " + List Name

The second thing I tried was just appending the “List Name” to the “New Folder Name” step (underlined in green), but it just ignores the / folder separator and creates the folder “INBOX #59”, i.e. "\MYCOMPANYNAME\Snagging\INBOX #59" instead of "\MYCOMPANYNAME\Snagging\INBOX\#59"

Any guidance on combining the string "/ Snagging / " + the variable ‘List Name’ would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance

@John_Cartlidge - I realize you raised this question a couple of months ago, so you may have already found a solution, but if by chance you have not here is some guidance.

I would suggest using a router, and each branch of the router having a filter based on the Trello list. For example 1 for Inbox, 1 for Triage, 1 for Pending, etc… So when a card is created, it will evaluate the 6 branches of the router, and only proceed down the path that it matches with on the filter (may be a good idea to create a 7th branch as a fallback to email you if no path was found).

Then in each of those 6 branches you can specify the correct google drive folder in the google drive module to create new folders for each card number (58, 59, 60, etc).

I hope this helps give you some ideas of how to code something like this into Make. Best of luck!

2 Likes