Custom Webhook Can't Process "&" and "and" Text

GOAL: Create and pin Slack message using data from an Airtable custom script.

Whenever a new records get into a view, the Airtable script runs and send a structured data to my custom wehbook in Make.

It’s supposed to look like this:

But what I end up getting is this:

Here’s what my Airtable script looks like:

And example data from the Airtable script (guestName is already at the bottom because I’ve experimented in switching the order):

And what my custom webhook receives (prior to changing order):

I’ve already sent a request from Support too. I’ve noticed that the data gets “cut off” or restructured whenever there is an “&” and a “and” on the inputs from Airtable, despite being strings.

I’ve tried reordering the data I send out. It works (screenshot), but ends again at the Project Name input because it has an “&” in it’s text.

Result:

I’m not code-savvy, so I’ve given up on trying to figure it out myself.

UPDATE:
I still haven’t found the solution to this. But upon further testing by making a new scenario with a new webhook URL, the issue still happens.

Also, the “&” and “#” sent by Airtable apparently affects the output/structure received by Make’s webhook. I’m still looking for a solution to this.

From what I can tell, you’re passing the input variables straight to the webhook as query parameters without any URL encoding. Generally, you’ll need to URL encode these input variables otherwise you’ll end up with things interfering with the parsing of these parameters on the other side (as you have noticed). Take a look at the ENCODE_URL_COMPONENT function in Airtable. I think this is available to use as a formula column only so you may have to create a formula column for the query parameters.

Someone with more familiarity with Airtable scripting might have a better solution

2 Likes