Custom webhook -> how to disable opening new web page with ACCEPTED msg

Hi there… is it possible to instruct MAKE to NOT open a new web page on the browser with the ACCEPTED message every time the custom webhook triggers?

webhook

From what I understand, you could build an HTML form with a button that sends the trigger, and then insert it as a widget in Notion, e.g. as described here. Maybe this helps you further?

1 Like

Hi Eno. To be honest, I don’t understand your reply in relation to my question. I don’t want to embed a widget in Notion. What I want is for my MAKE scenario to not open a new web page (new tab in browser) with the “Accepted” message every time the webhook in MAKE receives data from wherever. Do you know how to achieve this?

Hi @arruga , I’m sorry for the confusion. In fact, I had misread your ‘webhook triggers’. I just thought you’d have a good old embedded webhook link somewhere in Notion that triggers the ‘Accepted’ message in a new tab upon click. My apologies.
Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about webhooks on Make to help you in that regard. If you’re a paid user, you can use the Make API to watch things in Notion in realtime and then let Make trigger another scenario (the one that would start after the webhook was triggered). But I’m not sure that’s what you really need.

Hey @ratzekind , when you say “…use the Make API to watch things in Notion”, what do you mean which is other than using a custom webhook as trigger in the MAKE scenario, which is precisely what I’m doing?

Hey @arruga , if I got you right, once the webhook is being triggered by an action in Notion, a new browser tab opened with your ‘accepted’ response to the hook. Instead of setting up a webhook (that seems to trigger your described behaviour), you could set up one IF scenario (e.g. if new database item appears) and let it run another scenario, a THEN scenario (e.g. create an e-mail, fill another database etc.). So the IF and the THEN parts would be separated, and would not rely on a webhook, but you could let the IF scenario trigger the THEN scenario via Make API. Which is only available on paid plans though.

1 Like

Thanks mate… it sounds right, but I still don’t quite get it.
Currently, I got a work in Notion with a link to the webhook URL, so when the word on Notion is clicked, the webhook triggers (attached), which is causing a new web page to open with the ‘Accepted’ message.

Now, what you’re saying is that I can get rid of this webhook altogether and trigger the scenario in a different way, with IF… THEN scenarios. Can you be a little bit more specific as to what do you mean by this? IF…THEN where? what other trigger module in MAKE if not the webhook? What other way to communicate from Notion with MAKE do I have?

Wbhook2

Hi @arruga , sorry for being so quiet, I’ve been on a little holiday, with the absolute benefit of having absolutely no internet, and no mind for complicated front-end and Notion questions :slight_smile: .

As for your question, if you’re using either an embedded link, a widget or a word linked to the webhook, it wouldn’t matter: you’re opening a web URL, and this is what happens when you do so in case of Make’s webhooks—it throws a response.

I don’t know the other factors in what you want to achieve, but I guess it’s something similar to ‘IF I click the linked text, Make looks for items in a database and does something else’. So the IF, in this case, is ‘click the linked text’, the THEN is ‘Make looks for items in a database and does something else’. Now, given you have a neat idea of what else could help trigger the THEN scenario, and given that you have a paid Make plan, you could split up both parts, the IF and the THEN (=what happens after the webhook gets triggered in your current scenario).
The THEN scenario would be everything that happens in your scenario right now after the webhook trigger.
The IF however would be a second scenario, and that could be something like: a new item in another database is being created. So for example, you could have a second database, and every time a new item there is created, the THEN scenario should be started. You can have a look at what Notion actions are possible when you create a new scenario (or edit an existing one, it doesn’t matter) and pick ‘Notion’ as the trigger, there is a long list with options to pick from, and one of them is watching a database for new items, or watching changes made to items in a specific database or on a page.

So, I don’t know your specific requirements and what could work as a trigger for you, but let’s assume creating a new database item in a second database would help. You would then set this up as the first module in a second scenario, and the second step there would be a make.com module. You need to create an API key for that (Make’s documentation should help you with that), but if you’re on a paid plan, you can then have ‘trigger another scenario’ as the second module’s action, and as far as I remember from trying it out (I am on the free plan, so it doesn’t work for me), you can set the schedule for this scenario to ‘immediately’, so as soon as the trigger for the IF module happens (in this example, a database item is created in a second database), it would then use the Make API to trigger the second scenario.

Does that help? It’s basically trying to avoid having to click a link with the webhook (which gives you the known ugly response) by defining another trigger right inside Notion and make Make then start the action you want it to do (triggering the THEN scenario = everything after your webhook in the scenario you were currently working on).

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time mate
I get what you’re saying… I just think clicking makes for a much cleaner user experience.
The next best option would be a ‘trick’ to execute the URL not from a browser… In Airtable one can ALT+click a button field with the webhook URL link, and it won’t open a new browser window, but it creates a text file. I rather have that than multiple browser tabs. I was looking for a solution along those lines in Notion. Perhaps in Notion one could execute a URL from a command line of sorts instead of from a browser, but I guess here I’m entering into developer territory, which I am not. A no-code solution for this would be great.
Anyhow, thanks again!

It’s understandable a simple click would be the best solution. Which brings me to my first suggestion: you could create an HTML form somewhere and bind the webhook triggering to a button, so it won’t open a new page. This however would need you to have some sort of web hosting and a bit of knowledge on how to create such a form.
You would probably have to think a moment longer, but one solution could still be to let Make watch for some change of a property of a specific page or element on a page. E.g. if you change a status of a page, it would trigger the THEN scenario. The status change can be setting a checkbox, as you probably know, so it would be close to clicking a button. Notion buttons, on the other hand, are still not really capable of much, but maybe you could create a button to ‘Edit pages’, i.e. filter for exactly one element in a database, and then edit its status to something that gets picked up by Make. I know, it’s rather complicated, and still doesn’t feel very hands-on if you just want to click a button. I wished Notion had more complex ways of automation; I find Make to be very complicated and couldn’t find a solution for my own problems, because it does weird things.

I realize this is an old thread, but I stumbled on it while looking for something else and thought I would share an idea.

You can add a Webhook response module that will serve up HTML which in turn loads the page then immediately closes it via script. Here is how the module looks:

When clicked, this will still open a tab, but will then immediately attempt to close it. Doesn’t work every time due to various security settings, but it might help!
webhook_response_close_window.json (4.1 KB)

4 Likes

Hello,

the script you gave above unfortunately didn’t work in my case, but the one below (shortened) works perfectly.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title>Accepted</title>
</head>
<body>

<script>
    window.close();
</script>

</body>
</html>
3 Likes

Thanks for this solution !
Would have the solution to open a Landing Page I want to redirect to after clicking on the webhook (instead of “Accepted” page) ?

Thanks in advance

Hey there @Max4 :wave:

just wanted to step in and share a piece of friendly advice here.

It is generally a more effective strategy to start a new topic for each of your questions rather than comment on old and solved problems. By starting a new conversation you are more likely to get help from someone in the community.

If you want to address specific details from this post, you can always create a new topic and add a link that will lead users to this one. That way they will understand what you’re referring to.

Thank you very much for keeping the community neat. :broom: