Dropbox Search - How to get exact match only?

Hi everyone,

I use the Dropbox ‘Search Files/Folder’ module in a number of our scenarios to find an existing booking number for use in other modules in that scenarios (copy a file/folder to etc).

Occasionally the module returns a result that is not the exact match. For instance, if the input is “B#1669” it may return “B#166” despite “B#1669” also existing.

This results in files for one booking being added to a different booking.

I’m hoping there is some type of syntax or similar that I can put in the search field to ensure only an exact match is retrieved. Similar to how you can do a Google search. Does this function exist?

I have not been able to find an answer elsewhere.

Any help is appreciated!

Stefaan

Hi Stefaan, just use the filter (the bubble dotted line) after your Dropbox Search Files module so that the folder name contains the exact match with your variable.

That way the only bundle that will pass through is the one you want

3 Likes

Sorry I marked as a solution but just realized it doesn’t fully fix the problem.

You are right I can use the filter to ensure in exact match. However the returned folder name has additional text after the number (apologies I didn’t provide this in my example). Meaning if I use an ‘exact match’ filter it would not pass any result. And if I use a ‘contains filter’ then it be the same issue as the original method.

There is always a space after the number which is then followed by the customer’s name. For example, ‘#1669 Jack & Jill’

Using the same logic as the filter method, is there a way to get the filter to search for the number and the space after it? For example, search '#1669 ’ This way it not let through '#166

Do you have control over the booking number? Could you make them all four digits? For example #0166 instead of #166? If they are all the same number of digits then it should avoid the confusion you are describing.

Another thought would be to use the Match Pattern transformer. You can find it in the text parser orange button at the bottom of the scenario.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

The folder name is made using a different scenario. I could change it in Dropbox but then it would no longer match the booking number in our booking platform and Airtable so may create additional issues.

I’m familiar with regex but not sure how pulling out the number from the name of the folders (results) would help? This number is already the input. Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your suggestion!

The issue seems to be the automation getting confused with the first three numbers of the booking number being the same.

If they were all four digits by putting a zero in from of the ones that are currently three digits there would be no numbers with the same three starting numbers.

#0166 would not be confused with #1669.

Sounds like they would need to be changed in Airtable and the booking platform too so they all matched.

This also would allow your folders or files to be sorted numerically.

Right now it may look like this

Making them all four digits would allow them to be sorted properly

1 Like

If this is the prime example of what you are after #1669 Jack & Jill

Then you’d do it as Booking number = Folder Name (exact match)

Under the input section for your folder name, type (not copy and paste) it exactly as below

trim(get(split(#1669 Jack & Jill;{{space}});1))

This example would return the folder name value as #1669

3 Likes

Legend! Thank you so much!