How do I prevent duplicate IDs from being created?

Hi,

It’s happened to me a few times. As I’m working on a scenario, at some point I get an error like:

Duplicate instance id ‘6’ found.

I’m not sure how that happens. I haven’t noticed what I do that causes this.

So My question is twofold: what causes duplicate ids and how can I fix it without deleting and recreating modules in my scenario? I.e. can I renumber one of the duplicated IDs?

Thanks,

L

I’ve never seen this error message before, it might be from copying/cloning modules in your scenario.

For technical issues or bugs like this, directly contacting support can often lead to a faster resolution. They have access to your specific account details, scenario and scenario logs, server-side logs, and internal tools and resources, which allows them to investigate more thoroughly than what you have access to. Additionally, sharing sensitive information about your account or scenario might not be suitable for an open forum discussion.

You can open a new ticket here, or if you are unable to login for some reason, you can create another new free account to access the ticketing system (which is only available to logged-in users). Alternatively, you should be able to send an email to helpdesk@make.com and support@make.com and it should create a ticket. After submitting a new ticket, you will receive an automatic confirmation email with the subject “Ticket Created” in the subject. If you do not receive this, try sending the ticket again.

If you manage to get your issue resolved with support, we’d still love to hear about it! Sharing your solution on the forum can help others facing similar problems.

Join the Make Fans Discord server to chat with other makers!

1 Like

I’ve gotten this error a few times before. Almost every time I’ve gotten it it has been from copying and pasting this copied modules into the same scenario. Usually it happen when I’m copying modules connected to a router then still use the same router.

I usually just delete the router then re add it. Or if it is not because of this I will copy over the entire scenario and paste it into a blank canvas. Since this error does not allow you to save the scenario.

1 Like

Hmm, that must be it then. A couple of times I accidentally added a router and deleted it, so I’m guessing that must have created the duplicate ids. It would be nice if Make identified duplicate ids at the time of creation and gracefully skip over to the next available ID.

Thanks!

L

2 Likes

It should, but it didn’t, so it’s a bug…

3 Likes

Ah… Ok, I’ll log it because it’s happened to me more than once.

L

2 Likes

I have had it happen a few times because the AI inserted something in the scenario (against my wishes though).

Cheers,
Henk