How to Auto-Update Linked Objects on Google Docs?

Context
I’m having marketing weekly reports be automatically created following this workflow:
Airtable → Make → Google Sheets → Google Docs

I chose to use the ‘Create a Document from a Template’ module on Make instead of using the direct Airtable-to-Google-Docs integration to be able to customize the reports’ formatting, and to have part of the data go through Google Sheets in order to get cell color-coding depending on their value with Google Sheets’ conditional formatting.

The Google Doc features linked objects – a table and charts – that come from Google Sheets.

Need
As of today, I have to manually click the ‘Update All’ button on Google Docs to refresh the data in the linked objects. But since the reports will be created on a weekly basis, I’d like to find a way to automate this. The thing is, there’s no auto-refresh feature on Google Docs. And from what I found online, it’s not possible yet to automate it with the Google Docs API (see this thread on Stack Overflow and this post on Google’s IssueTracker).

But is it possible to automate it with Google Apps Script? If not, would any of you have a workaround to suggest using Make?

There is no API on Google Docs or Sheets to update a Linked Object.

Therefore to do this you have to ask Google to create such an API endpoint first.

For more information, see

Hope this helps! Let me know if there are any further questions or issues.

@samliew

1 Like

Hi @samliew,

The feature request’s already been posted on Google’s IssueTracker. Do you know whether it’s possible to get what I want with Google Apps Script?

It’s on the Google Issue Tracker because there is no way to do it programmatically…

1 Like