How to schedule scenario for first Monday of the month

I needed a scenario to run the first Monday of the month. Make’s built-in scheduling only supports specific date scheduling or “every weekday” scheduling, not “X weekday of month”.

Here’s my solution:

1. Set scenario to run every Monday
  2. Use Tools > Set Variable module as first module. Create a “7_days_ago” variable using the addDays formula to subtract 7 days from the current date.
  3. Create a filter following the Tools module to only run the following actions if it’s the first Monday of the month (if the month number of 7_days_ago is less than the month number of today)

Hope this helps somebody!

Welcome to the Make community!

While this is a good idea, technically this doesn’t exactly schedule the scenario for first Monday of the month, but for all Mondays in the month, with a filter to only run the rest of the scenario if it’s the first Monday.

So it can cost a minimum of five operations a month.

It would be nice to have Make build this directly into the scheduling system itself, to be able to select “1st <weekday:Monday> of the month”, “3rd <weekday:Monday> of the month”, etc.

You can submit this suggestion to the Idea exchange, under Platform ideas and improvements.

Don’t forget to search for it first, just in case someone already suggested it, so that you don’t end up creating a duplicate.
Screenshot_2024-01-17_130153

In the meantime, I’ll show you my way of only using one operation without requiring any filters:
[Showcase] How to schedule scenario for first Monday next month – #1 samliew

Your solution is way more elegant than mine. For now, I’m sticking with my way because I’m fine with burning the extra operations, but I appreciate you taking the time to document a better way. I’ll come back to your post and give that a try soon.

I agree, it seems silly that this even has to be a discussion. You would think this would be a built-in scenario scheduling option. But I love so much else about Make I’m okay with a workaround.

2 Likes

And I did find an existing request for this scheduling feature here and upvoted it. Anybody who stumbles onto this thread and would also like the “nth weekday of the month” scheduling option should go upvote as well.

2 Likes