Insomnia vs Postman: Which Tool Fits Better in Automation Workflows?

I’ve been using Postman for API testing in my automation workflows, but I’ve recently heard about Insomnia and Apidog. Has anyone here compared these tools for automating API requests and handling responses? I’m curious about the features that stand out in each tool, especially for integrating into broader workflows.

Hi @Emmanuel_Mumba,

Welcome to the Make community! I am using both Postman and Insomnia concurrently.

Insomnia:
Focused on API testing, so the UI is quite minimal, and you will not find a lot of additional features. Great for simplistic endpoint testing. Environment variables are simpler than Postman. Insomnia also supports automation and response handling, but its capabilities are more limited compared to Postman, especially when it comes to automating workflows and integrating with CI/CD pipelines.

Postman:
Far more features, which might clutter your workflow, but then again, very powerful. You can write pre/-post reqeust scripts, do automated testing, created mock servers, etc… Also, it is easier to add collections based on Swagger docs.

In the end, they are both great HTTP clients which offer all API protocols you will need. Both are free to a degree, so it is just a matter of taste I guess.

Cheers,
Henk

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response. Thanks you for the welcome.