Hello, I created a help ticket but thought I would ask here to see if anyone else is having this problem.
Sometime in the last few days the “Get a File” task of the OneDrive application has stopped working. My scenario finds the path to a folder that we have stored in another system. It then uses the “Get a File” OneDrive app to find the folder by name and get the necessary ID to work with it in future tasks.
We use this scenario a few times per week, but at the start of this week it started failing. The error on OneDrive Get a File was 404 file not found. I searched for something that had changed and couldn’t find anything. I also reauthorized my application’s connection but nothing changed.
I decided to recreate this part of the scenario, so I added a new instance of the Get a File task into the scenario. I clicked through the settings to set it up and whenever I go to select a file it tries to search, spins momentarily, and then says “Failed to load data!”
Steps to reproduce:
- Make a connection to OneDrive
- Add the “Get a File” task to the scenario
- Choose your connection in the first field
- Choose “File Path” for the “Enter (File ID & File Path)” <-this is important
- From “Enter a File Path” choose “Select from the list”
- Choose your OneDrive location: Any valid choice
- The next step varies depending on the previous step: Choose any valid option
- Click the box to choose a file
- I would see a list of folders and files and I could select one
- It tries and then says “Failed to load data!”
Note: There are two ways to get a file: by File ID and by Path. I need to use the path. However, when I try to recreate this problem by using the File ID everything works as expected.