Populate Subtasks from inherited Parent Task Field Data In Click Up

Hello,

I am trying to create an automation that would automatically populate the custom fields of a subtask with their parent tasks custom field data.

I’ve seen someone achieve the opposite, where a subtask populates the parent task’s custom fields and or status.
But I am new to this and can’t figure out how to back engineer that scenario to achieve the opposite flow of data so that it moved from PARENT TASK to SUBTASK

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Please Obi-wan Kenobi

Star Wars Reaction GIF by Disney+

Hi Brennan,

there is a Parent variable available when you use the Get a Task module. So if its a subtask, it will have a task ID in there for the parent. You can then map it in a second Get a Task module to get the parent task and get access to its custom fields.

3 Likes

I’m trying to do the same thing. The parent task search is not a problem. But matching the custom field value of the subtask to that of the parrent task … I can’t figure that out. Is there another update around this?

Hi Wim,

what issue are you having? Locating the subtask from the parent ID?
There is a List Subtasks for a Task module you can use for that.

2 Likes

Hi Stoyan,

I would like to know the solution to the question Brennen asked… the id’s of the parent task and subtask is not a problem. But then how to proceed with the variable fields from the Parent task and the subtask? That’s a lot more complicated in ClickUp.

Thanks,
Wim

Hi Wim,

could you please share some screenshots of your scenario and what issues you are facing?

If you need to use Edit a Task with Custom Fields (Advanced) module, you can use a Get a Task module first to find out what the custom field IDs are.

2 Likes

Hi Stoyan,

Thanks for helping me… but I was able to solve it today!
Actually, it wasn’t that difficult at all. :o)

Thanks,
Wim

Hello @Wim :wave:

Awesome job getting this up and running by yourself and thanks for keeping us posted on your progress :clap:

Would you mind sharing a short summary of what did the final trick for you? It could help others who are searching for similar information in the future.

Thanks a lot for considering this :raised_hands:

1 Like

It’s actually very simple… in step 1 a webhook that picks up newly created tasks. Step 2: collect info from the task in question. Filter: if it is a subtask (with a parent id) then it may continue, otherwise not. Step 3: gather info from the parent task. Step 4: adjust the variable fields of the subtask with those of the task.
The ids of the different fields can be obtained by adding, temporarily or not, the module list all accessible custom fields. If it is a fixed id you don’t actually need that module for the process.

That’s it!

1 Like