[Problem] Cloning Airtable Blueprints

Hey there,

I have to import the same blueprint over and over for multiple clients and inside the blueprint there are a lot of different Airtable Module.

Every single Airtable Module, after adding the connections, breaks because it’s connected to the other client bases so I have to reconfigure those modules every single time.

I’m curious to know if you guys have found a way to simplify this process so that, every time I import a new blueprint, I don’t have to reconfigure all the Airtable modules all over again (especially the ones that update the records which are emptied out)

Would love to know if you guys have some workaround

Hey @Riccardo_Vandra
Welcome to the Make Community

You can ‘Clone’ your scenario and can change the data without reconfiguration of Airtable modules.

Thanks,
Sachin Shrivastava
growwstacks.com

2 Likes

Hi @Riccardo_Vandra

As you mentioned “blueprint import”. Blueprint is only an interface of scenario. Hence, you will have to create an individual connection for every client as it establishes using their individual API secrets.

If you require additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
MSquare Support
Visit us here
Youtube Channel

2 Likes

Yes, this can be done within the same client workspace.

What if I switch workspace and go from Client A to Client B, I’ll have to remap everything from scratch

I added a video to provide some additional context:

Connection is already created on the client side, the problem happens once I switch the different bases.

I added a video here: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

Let me know if that helps and we can discover more about the issue

2 Likes

Hey Riccardo

My solution to this involves two steps

1. An “Automation” in Airtable (which may need to be manually configured and must be manually turned on upon the creation of each base) which sends a webhook to make containing:

a trigger (time, upon certain field update, etc.)
a scripting block which sends either a webhook URL or JSON response to make, containing

-recordId
-baseId
-tableId(s)
-the make webhook URL

the recordId can be passed through via the trigger
the baseId can be determined easily via the script
the tableIds can be determined by either:
A) a custom text input in the input.config name (ex. ‘preRecordedTableName’) and then you can use the script to pull the table id of the table named ‘Pre-Recorded Videos’ (or whatever else you specifically call it in this base).
OR
B) something hardcoded into the script that pulls the table named ‘Pre-Recorded Videos’, if your bases ALWAYS have a table named Pre-Recorded Videos

Here’s an example of the automation as well as the script text :

let inputConfig = input.config();
let preRecTableId;
try {
    preRecTableId = base.getTable(inputConfig.preRecTableName).id;
    console.log(preRecTableId);
} catch (error) {
    console.log(`The table ${inputConfig.preRecTableName} was not found.`);
}

const jsonBody = {
    "baseID": base.id,
    "preRecTableID": preRecTableId,
    "recordID": inputConfig.recordID,
    "assetFolder": inputConfig.assetFolder
}

const response = await fetch(`${inputConfig.hookURL}`, {
    method: 'POST',
    headers: {
        'Content-Type': 'application/json'
    },
    body: JSON.stringify(jsonBody)
});

As you can see, I also pass the value through of the field {Asset Folder} as it helps determine the route in my specific scenario. You could delete that piece.

1. Once you’ve set up the proper payload from airtable, I use the webhook module to receive the payload from the scripting block, and the ‘Make an API call’ Airtable module in Make to update the record.

The beauty of this system is that I can have a single Make scenario for all operations of this kind, across all bases for each client. It’s a huge timesaver for creating and troubleshooting, and it’s elegant, to boot.

If I needed to use this across different clients, I could, en-masse, change the Personal Access Token aka “Connection” at the top of all airtable modules in the scenario(s), using something like this from weblytica.

A downside of the “Make an API call” module vs the “Update a Record” module is that, in the ‘Make an API call’ module, it is possible to attempt to write to an Airtable field that does not exist in the table, which would throw an error.

In the “Update a Record” module, which you are using in your video, Make loads the fields of that Airtable table, so it’s impossible to write to a non-existent field, but, as you’ve noted, it has the key downside of clearing all mapping when you switch to a new table.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if it would help for us to get on a short call.

-Paul
jpaulgale@gmail.com

2 Likes