Use a custom random variable to create a user

Hello,
bare with me, I am completely new to this world… :slight_smile:
I want to have a scenario which creates a user in a learning management platform. Because the platform denies to create the same user twice, I want to use a random value which I add to the email address.

This is the random variable:

I want to use the random value in the Email field, instead of the formula:

When I run the scenario, the variable looks good:

But it does not show up in the input:

I hope you can give me an advise where I have the problem.
Thanks a lot!
Regards,
SImon

Doesn’t it seem to work? The random number is being added:

Screenshot_2023-09-24_163507

1 Like

@samliew No, this random number is generated by the function I want to replace with the variable.

(Sorry for the confusion)

1 Like

Then set the variable first using the Set variable module

2 Likes

Hm, isn’t that what I did already? :thinking:

I didn’t see a screenshot with the variable testId in your Thinkific Email field, and assumed you haven’t done that yet. Just add the variable testId in your Thinkific Email field, where the function originally was?

2 Likes

Sorry, my screenshots were a little bit confusing.
So, the goal is to create a variable testid with a random number and to use this variable for the new user’s email address.

However, the Thinkific module to create new user does not show this:

When I connect a module to update a Google sheet, I see this variable:

It seems that the Thinkific module to create a user is not aware of input variables. The search module displays it, by the way. Is this by intention?
I mean, creating a user should be parametrized somehow?

Thanks for your patience…
Regards,
Simon

Hi @smake ,

I see your problem: the testid variable isn’t showing up when you try to map this to your Thinkific module.

Sometimes Make can be a little peculiar about displaying the outputs of previous modules! The order that you add modules to your scenario does seem to affect this. Most of the time you can force it to update by running the scenario, or just running the module… but your best bet:

You can manually type in references to previous outputs (including variables) without having to drag and drop them, using this format {{3.testid}}.

Let us know how it goes!

Hi Terry,

awesome, that “dot notation” helped!
Thanks a lot! :+1:

(I’ll keep your hints in mind)

Regards,
Simon

1 Like