Webflow 429 Rate Limit Error

I recently started getting repeated “429 Too Many Requests” rate limit errors on a scenario where I create and publish two Webflow CMS Items.

Until today, the Make worked fine, but now I’m getting the error every time it runs, making my Webflow site unusable. My Webflow plan says I can submit 120 API requests per minute so I can only think of three reasons this could be happening:

1. Make is sending tons of API requests somehow - it doesn’t appear this is happening when I look at the scenario history, but is there somewhere else to check?

2. Webflow is throttling the Make scenario from doing more than a few requests a minute (vs the 120 the plan says are allowed). Maybe they are applying their recent change to only allow one site publish event per minute to only allowing users to publish one CMS item per minute?

3. Something I can’t think of.

I’d really appreciate any help or ideas people have. Thank you!

Welcome to the Make community!

Please share screenshots of the scenario and module fields? It would really help other community members to see what you’re looking at.

You can upload images here using the Upload icon in the text editor:
Screenshot_2023-10-07_111039

Please export the scenario blueprint file to allow others to replicate the issue. At the bottom of the scenario editor, you can click on the three dots to find the Export Blueprint menu item.

Screenshot_2023-08-24_230826

Uploading it here will look like this:

blueprint.json (12.3 KB)

If applicable, please provide the input/output bundles of the modules by running the scenario, then click the white speech bubble on the top-right of each module, save the contents as a bundle.json file, and upload it here into this discussion thread:

Screenshot_2023-10-06_141025

Following these steps will allow others to assist you here. Thanks!

2 Likes

Here is a screenshot of the scenario:

Here is the scenario without the error (so you can see the full thing):

Here is the scenario recent history (so you can see number of requests is low):

Here is the scenario blueprint:
blueprint.json (156.1 KB)

The thing I can’t figure out is why it worked until recently. I did extensive testing over the past weeks with a lot more API calls and no 429 errors but now it’s happening every time this scenario runs.

Webflow docs say they return the number of remaining API calls in the header, which would help to see, but I can’t find that in Make. Is there any way to see that info in Make?

The output bundle on the module with the error is null and it’s not in the prior ones either…

If you have the Make Chrome extension installed, you should be able to view the response headers from each Webflow module when you manually run the scenario.

This will help you see the remaining rate limits from the X-RateLimit-Remaining, and which part of your scenario is using up too many requests.

For more information on how to install and use this, see https://www.make.com/en/help/scenarios/integromat-devtool

5 Likes

Hi @chaseadam17

The error code 429 indicates a rate limit issue. To prevent this, create a Break error handler within the relevant module. This will enable the request to be retried after a certain waiting period.

@Msquare_Automation the question here is not how to mitigate the error, but why is it even happening, since it doesn’t seem like the scenario is making lots of requests. Adding a break does not solve the root cause.

@chaseadam17 are there other scenarios using the same Webflow connection?

2 Likes

I’m having exactly the same problem all of a sudden. Make scenarios have worked fine up until tonight. The scenario is a basic form submission trigger, updating a CMS item and then publishing it. Seems to break once it hits the Publish Item module, returning the 429 Too Many Requests error :frowning:

@Bailey_Elith Thank you for letting us know.

This might be a Webflow issue, since now there are more than one user affected by the same error. Please contact Webflow support at support@webflow.com, or post in their community forum at https://discourse.webflow.com for faster assistance from Webflow staff.

2 Likes

Excatly same problem here! :weary:

I’ve taken a look at the Webflow forum, and it appears that other users are similarly affected. Apparently, you can now only publish one item per minute to prevent spam.

This is in no way Make’s fault.

Can you please link to where it says that?

The plan I’m on says 120 requests per minute. I saw they decreased site publishing to once per minute but this is CMS item publishing.

Even though I insert a “Sleep” module set to 80 sec between “Update an item” module and “Publish an item” module, returning the 429 Too Many Requests error.

I feel relatively confident this is a webflow bug. Please email support so they know a lot of users are impacted and prioritize a fix.

1 Like

Here is the Webflow forum thread link about the same subject.

1 Like

Good point on this not answering the root cause issue… but would the suggestion from @Msquare_Automation work as a temporary fix? Since a lot of us have working scenarios for our own businesses or clients it would be good to have a patch that we can implement via Make until the root cause issue is resolved with Webflow.

@samliew some feedback for Make: you guys might want to consider not forcing users over to the new versions of APIs so quickly so bugs have time to get solved. I think that right now using “update live item” via Zapier (which as of a day or two ago still supported the old API) is the only stopgap.

For quicker assistance with bugs and technical problems, you may want to contact Make support directly. They respond very quickly and update you frequently on the status of their investigation.

2 Likes

I have posted a thread on X: https://twitter.com/vianneypercq/status/1712741654556291131
Hope Webflow will react …

Webflow is working on the issue

1 Like

I’m newer to Webflow and this has effectively taken down my site for 48 hr now. It makes me nervous to build anything with more advanced functionality in Webflow that users rely on. For the more experienced users here, how common are problems like this?

Seems like the best fix for now is to reimplement the v1 Webflow modules in your make scenarios. I had upgraded my modules and scenarios and then these issues came up. I tried resolving the problem with a break error handler and retry attempts after 10 minutes but that didn’t work for me.

This morning I was able to reimplement some of the v1 modules using a blueprint that was shared in the community that has the v1 modules for webflow. I copied the specific modules back into my scenario and recreated the steps needed and ran a test and things seem to work as intended. (thanks to @shadi here Webflow “429 Too Many Requests” Error in Make.com - #12 by wdbk - Webflow APIs - Forum | Webflow)

I have seen some responses from Webflow saying they will continue to support their v1 api for some time so hopefully this approach will work until they push out a proper fix. I’ll try attaching that blueprint here so hopefully that is helpful to others.

webflow_v1_blueprint.json (5.0 KB)

3 Likes