"[400] This operation is not supported for this document" when trying to create a doc based on a template on Google Drive / Google Docs

Hi there!

I’m trying to generate a new Google Docs text file based on a template that is already in my Google Drive. I already granted all the required permissions for Make to be able to access my template file and folder.

In my scenario, I’m creating a new folder to hold this soon to be created file, which works with no problem, and then I’m using the “Google Docs > Create a Document from a Template” component to replace tags from the template file with values coming over from my Notion trigger integration using the pattern it says me to use {{TAG}} . Everything seems to be properly configured in the template file and in Make but I’m getting a pretty generic error “[400] This operation is not supported for this document”. I was having issues with some of the date fields I’m trying to replace, I’ve fixed those, but this is an indication that it’s getting past the access step. I also checked and the file is being created with the name I defined, and with the content from the template file, but no field was replaced. I can’t understand what might be causing this. Can anyone help me out?

Welcome to the Make community!

1. Screenshots of scenario

Please share screenshots of the scenario? It would really help other community members to see what you’re looking at and where the mapped variables are coming from.

You can upload images here using the Upload icon in the text editor:

2. Scenario blueprint

Please export the scenario blueprint file to allow others to view the mappings and settings. At the bottom of the scenario editor, you can click on the three dots to find the Export Blueprint menu item.

(Note: Exporting your scenario will not include private information or keys to your connections)

Uploading it here will look like this:

blueprint.json (12.3 KB)

3. And most importantly, Output bundles of the Notion module “1”

Please provide the output bundles of the Notion module [1] by running the scenario (or get from the scenario History tab), then click the white speech bubble on the top-right of each module and select “Download input/output bundles”.


Save each bundle contents in your text editor as a bundle.txt file, and upload it here into this discussion thread.

Uploading them here will look like this:

module-1-output-bundle.txt (12.3 KB)


If you are unable to upload files on this forum, alternatively you can paste the formatted bundles in this manner:

  • Either add three backticks ``` before and after the code, like this:

    input/output bundle content goes here

  • Or use the format code button in the editor:

Providing the input/output bundles will allow others to replicate what is going on in the scenario even if they do not use the external service.

Following these steps will allow others to assist you here. Thanks!


There you go! Let me know if you need anything else! Thanks <3

make.txt (2.3 KB)

blueprint.json (164.7 KB)

Any ideias anyone? :face_with_thermometer:

This errod in google doc happens when one of your tag field is not working. From my personal experience i test one tag at a time by updating values one by one.

This let me know that exactly which tag is giving issue to create and edit doc.

There could be very wierd issue so i will suggest to check each tag one by one hy running scenario again and again.

Princy Jain
Make consultant,
For consulting support: Follow up Automated

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I finally figured it out, it turned out I was using an unsupported doc file as template. I had a .docx imported file but it needed to be a native Google Doc file.


Hey @renovalead :wave:

Great to hear that your issue is solved! You, @samliew, and @Princy truly did a good job while figuring out the solution.

Keep up the awesome work!