Can we upload a Google Sheet in google drive and automate that the data gets put into to an existing Google Sheet?

Hi Make

I saw the following question already asked before:

“Is it possible to automate this workflow - whenever a new file is uploaded to a Google Drive folder as a Google Sheet > grab certain columns of data within the newly uploaded Sheet > and then copy & paste those data to an existing Google Sheet?”

Now is the case that i am struggling with exactly the same, and since there is no answer that fixed the problem(at least not that i can see) i was wondering if anyone knows how to solve this. The idea is that we upload a spreadsheet file on Google Drive, and it copies the sheet (or ideally moves it as a whole) in to another existing spreadsheet as a new sheet.

Hope anyone can help us.

This was the way we have been looking to get it done. Maybe we are doing something wrong, or we should look for a different approach?

1 Like

Welcome to the Make community!

Please share screenshots of the module fields and filters in question? It would really help other community members to see what you’re looking at.

You can upload images here using the Upload icon in the text editor:
Screenshot_2023-10-07_111039

Please export the scenario blueprint file to allow others to replicate the issue. At the bottom of the scenario editor, you can click on the three dots to find the Export Blueprint menu item.

Screenshot_2023-08-24_230826

Uploading it here will look like this:

blueprint.json (12.3 KB)

Please provide the input/output bundles of the modules by running the scenario, then click the white speech bubble on the top-right of each module, save the contents as a bundle.json file, and upload it here into this discussion thread:

Screenshot_2023-10-06_141025

Please share screenshots of how your Google Sheets sheets look like, and explain how you want to copy the data to the other sheet? Which cells go into which cells on the target sheet?

Following these steps will allow others to assist you here. Thanks!

1 Like

blueprint.json (17.0 KB)

Here is the blueprint of what we have made so far.

We have changed the set up to this now, but it still does not work

1 Like

Also looking for a solution. Following. :pray:

Hi Artoer,

You can use templates to help solve the problem. if these sheets are “standard” in layout, then when a new sheet is dropped, create a new sheet using a template, and duplicate the data.

2 Likes

After some adjustments, I have finally managed to perform “Uploading a Google Sheet to Google Drive and automating the process of transferring its data to an existing Google Sheet.”:

The one thing missing in the other thread, was the second picture below:

Full setup:

Add a row:

@Aran_Liu where do the 14,0 come from please fill in the values thank you ?

The value 14. 0 and the other 3 is for matching columns from the newly added Google Sheet to the existing Google Sheet.

1 Like

I’m facing an issue with a code designed to automatically transfer CSV files to my Google Drive. I’ve implemented a ‘Watch Files in a Folder’ mechanism for this purpose. However, I’m encountering difficulties importing these files directly into my spreadsheet. I’ve attempted various approaches, but none have yielded the desired outcome."

Hi there, as I am also a new user, my guess for the two possible reason of the issue could be:

1. File format: In my instance, the file was uploaded to the drive as an excel format, but I converted the file to Google spreadsheet first. (Not sure what happens if I didn’t)
  2. Remove the “Download a file” module for now.

My recommended steps to resolve the issues are:

1. Remove the “Download a file” module first.
  2. “Add a row” module, add the values matching the columns
  3. Perform a test run and see if it works.

If it still doesn’t work then try adjusting the file format to Google sheets, you can use the following module to perform the action:

Hope it helps!

1 Like