General understanding question

Hi there, today I realized my first automation with make. And to be honest, it worked better for me then expected.

My challenge was to setup a scenario where a list of shipping IDs and their related tracking numbers is used to update the shipping data inside my erp system through its rest api.

So I established three scenarios that work together, or better lets say one after the other, to make thinks happen as expected.

Everything looks quite good now,but as I am testing always with single data records, I wonder how this will work in regard of

A) execution intervalls
B) other limitations

Because in the real setup I want to manage multiple records, like 100 or 200 records in a batch.

For example I have a sheets trigger „watch row“ that checks if new rows are added to my sheet, and then if that happens it fires some actions to finally update the shipping record inside my erp software.

This works when I add a single row to my sheet.

But what will happen, if I add 100 rows?

Will make then work all of the 100 entries one after the other?

Can someone please explain to me how this is handled with make?

Thx

@Dusticelli

It depends.

It’s impossible to say for sure without seeing exactly what you’re doing. But generally speaking, Make does great with handling the type volume of transactions you are talking about.

If you can add 10 or 20 at the same time and all is good, then you can be pretty sure that 100 will be good too.

I don’t generally TEST volume transactions. It is sometimes an issue in design. Primarily considering situations were duplicates, drops, out-of-sequence and simultaneous transactions might be an issue. “Usually” this kind of thing is not an important consideration.

One note… When using webhooks, by default, Make scenarios can “multithread”, i.e., two or more copies of the scenario can be executing at the same time. This can be overridden in the scenario settings. To find out more about this you can go to this link: Scenario settings…

Jim - The Monday Man (YouTube Channel)
What is Make & How can it help you with monday?
We Create Custom Solutions
Schedule a 1-on-1 Tutorial Session (for monday, Make or “Football”)

@JimTheMondayMan thank you very much. The scenario settings explanation helped me a bit further.

They mention Limits and cycles.

So as I understand, finally it is something that needs to be tested out.

1 Like

One thing that you can do to make sure you are being efficient is to create a new column and mark the rows as processed .

After this, just make sure that you when you restart the scenario you don’t do it with already processed rows.

2 Likes