I’m trying to understand how companies are using AI agents or AI-powered workflows to take real actions in business systems.
I’m especially interested in workflows where AI can update systems like HubSpot, Shopify, Stripe, Gmail, databases, or internal tools through n8n, APIs, MCP, or custom code.
What is the problem & what have you tried?
I’m not troubleshooting a specific broken workflow.
I’m researching how these systems are actually built in production and want to hear real examples from people using n8n with AI agents.
I’d like to understand:
What triggers the workflow
What AI or agent is used
What systems the AI changes
What actions are automated
Whether sensitive actions require human approval
What failures or mistakes people have seen
How they verify that the AI actually performed the correct action
What actions they would never allow AI to perform automatically
Error messages or input/output bundles
N/A — this is a research/discussion question, not a debugging issue.
Your verification question is where I’d separate a successful tool call from a confirmed change. As an illustrative pattern, not a production example: if an agent is asked to change CRM contact 123’s lifecycle stage to “customer,” I’d read contact 123 back from the CRM and compare that field with the requested value.
The agent endpoint accepting the request and returning a response doesn’t establish that the record changed. For the examples you’re collecting, I’d want to see that returned CRM value, not just a green workflow run.
Yes it does. If you are using the Make agents, you can clearly see which tools were called and their outputs.
Also, if you are looking for determinism, don’t rely for it to happen in a tool call. Configure the agent to give you a data structure as the output and use that to edit HubSpot or whatever.
One distinction I’d make is between “the agent called the right tool” and “the business state is now correct.”
For production workflows I’d verify the external result after the write, not just the agent/tool output.
Example: if the agent changes a CRM stage, read that record back and confirm the field actually changed. If it sends something externally, keep a durable action ID/status so retries cannot duplicate the side effect.
I’d also split actions into three buckets:
Safe to automate directly — tagging, drafting, internal enrichment
Automate with verification — CRM updates, record creation, status changes
Human approval first — payments, deleting data, custom pricing, sensitive customer messages
The useful production view is then not “agent succeeded.”
It’s:
requested action / confirmed result / exception reason / next authorized action
That makes the human boundary much easier to operate.