How to add Notion select value containing commas?

I am trying to add to a Notion record a Select value which is a string containing commas: “Technology, Information and Internet”.

It is failing with: The operation failed with an error. [400] Invalid select option, commas not allowed: Technology, Information and Internet.

The issue is similar to https://community.make.com/t/how-can-i-map-correctly-a-notion-multi-select-field/8575Similar to: How can I map correctly a Notion Multi-Select field? but I do not intend to split the string into array parts.

I know why Notion has an issue with the commas. But how do I force Make to send this as a single string value?

1. If I wrap the value sent in double-quotes, I get a worse error: The operation failed with an error. [400] body failed validation: body.properties.Industries.multi_select[0].name.length should be ≤ 100, instead was 113.

2. If I wrap it in toString(), it fails similarly: The operation failed with an error. [400] body failed validation: body.properties.Industries.multi_select[0].name.length should be ≤ 100, instead was 110``

I suspect it may also fail with characters beside commas.

In Notion, commas are not allowed in the options on select / multi-select properties (also when you try to create them manually, Notion automatically removes the commas). Would it be okay for you to remove the comma in “Technology, Information and Internet”? If the answer was “yes”, you probably wouldn’t have asked the question, I know - but as far as I am aware, there is no way around commas in Notion select / multi-select properties

2 Likes

There must be a way to ensure that the provided value is truly passed as a string.

I could get around it by using replace(), I guess