How to maintain consistant column feeding after adding/removing a row?

When updating a row in Google Sheets, we get to target columns based on a letter, while the module displays the current corresponding header. The first cell’s value in a column stands as the header, but I suppose it’s only shown for convenience/readability when setting up the module. This header won’t get updated until clicking refresh.

Unfortunately, if a column is added later on to that Sheet, then the data will still be sent to the original column… number. In other word, if some data is set to be sent to column C, if later someone adds a column before C (included), then the data will be sent to the newly third column, instead of sticking to the one where it used to go. And so will it be for the following colums. As a consequence, the process gets compromised, and the data go to the wrong columns, until we realize something’s wrong.

How do you guys handle this situation?

Thanks

@TM56 no solution for this. This is the limitation with google sheet that after setting up automation your should not move columns in google sheet as google sheet module cannot adjust the change and you have to come to make scenario to re-map the modules.

I use airtable and suggest clients to use airtable.

Princy Jain
Make consultant,
For consulting support: Follow up Automated

1 Like

Hi Princy!

Thanks a lot for that suggestion.
I know AirTable is very powerful, and is a good alternavite to Google Sheets in many cases. But it gets quickly very pricy with the number of users growing.
At least too pricy for this improvement in my case.
As a workaround, I can probably play with references inside Google Sheets instead.

1 Like

@TM56 Or I will suggest to add new column in end.

Yes but in our case, this would make the worksheet not user friendly, at all.

However there’s something interesting your suggestion: when people need to add colums, it’s to add a dedicated column to count products. We basically need a new column when new products (sku) are added.
But my Make process doesn’t feed these columns: only the totals that come further.
So I could basically add 50 empty columns between the products and totals, then hide them for convenience purposes. So that new products could be added in these 50 columns, and I wouldn’t need to adjust my scenario until these are all used.

Great, Sounds like a good plan.