Intermittent Calendly array index disorder

Hello,

I am observing intermittent behavior with an API call to get Calendly Routing Form data and am wondering if anyone has experienced similarly?

CONTEXT: we gather response data from the Calendly Routing Form questionnaire. Usually the array of questions & answers arrive indexed in the order of the questions on the Routing Form.

There’s nothing too fancy in the questionnaire: name, e-mail, phone, a couple single- and multi-line text fields, and three single-selects. 10 Q&A elements total.

The intermittent behavior I am seeing is that every now and then the array index order is all out of whack. I can find no rhyme or reason in the source data, nor consistent array indexing (e.g. off by one index, or the question_uuids are out of alignment).

This does not happen often, which makes it even more difficult to troubleshoot, but when it happens, as is, the rest of the scenario gets borked.

I am thinking I could implement a conditional tree to check each question against every possible answer for a known question_uuid and then grab that answer based on finding a match, setting the matched answer’s array index to a variable, and using that :face_with_raised_eyebrow: but, is it even possible to return the relative array index #? :tired_face:

Before I spend a bunch of time trying to figure out how to build a workaround, I was just wondering if anyone has crossed this bridge before and gotten over or around these troubling waters.

Has anyone experienced similar array indexing disorder using Calendly in Make scenarios?

Thanks!

From Calendly, this is the structure I am trying to get data from in a way that the index order doesn’t matter:

How/which array functions would get me able to parse the answer based on the question_uuid from e.g.

Calendly Get Routing data API Call
[
    {
        "body": {
            "resource": {
                "created_at": "2023-03-17T18:21:10.747818Z",
                "questions_and_answers": [
                    {
                        "answer": "+1 386-586-7235",
                        "question": "Phone number",
                        "question_uuid": "2ed833fd-637d-4331-8124-f603682940b7"
                    },
                    {
                    },
                ]
            }
        }
    }
]

Like, I could hammer this out with a for loop in Javascript, but how do I implement in Make:

For this variable that I want to get question 1 from…

i.e. match to known_uuid 2ed833fd-637d-4331-8124-f603682940b7)…

I would loop over the entire array of objects and at each object

iff questions_and_answers.THIS INDEX.question_uuid === known_uuid, then return questions_and_answers.THIS INDEX.answer

Can I implement this logic in an Iterator module?

I figured it out using the map() function

e.g.

{{map(84.body.resource.questions_and_answers; "answer"; "question_uuid"; "d702ea37-9d21-47f8-897d-07235de3d6d5")}}

From the array of q&a objects, this returns the answer that matches the specified question_uuid :tada:

Good solution @mixelpix and thanks for posting it for the rest of community!

If you would like to get a string back, instead of an array you could also add 1 more get() on the function (since map() returns an array) . Would look like this:

{{get(map(84.body.resource.questions_and_answers; "answer"; "question_uuid"; "d702ea37-9d21-47f8-897d-07235de3d6d5");1)}}
2 Likes

Thanks @Bjorn.drivn - I just had an a-ha! moment thanks to your explanation.

In a FB community forum for Make users someone suggested adding first() and that confused me a lot, but I suppose first() or get(...;1) around the map() call would return a string, no?

Kindest regards

Yes, first() is basically doing the same as get() with the index of 1 (even though in programming the first item of an index always starts with 0 :sweat_smile:)

Howerver, the map() function returns an array of all the items that match the filter. If in any case you would have an array with multiple items, and you would want the second item instead of the first its easier to change :wink:

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 22.27.43

2 Likes

lol - indeed, Make’s “index starts at 1” dissonance still breaks my brain sometimes :sweat_smile:

1 Like