MongoDB query from dynamic collection & using converger

Seeking any helpful workarounds.

1. MongoDB collection field appears to NOT support dynamic make.com merge codes. This means the collection name must be hardcoded - which is a real drag. Any workarounds for situations like this? (I wonder if there is some way to define a bunch of alternate routes each with unique hardcoded collections. I know I could create a bunch of routes. But I don’t know a way I could get all the different routes to execute the same sequence once done. In other words, make won’t let me connect a couple routes to the same destination… )

2. Elsewhere I need to reference the name of a field (not the field value) to log in Google Sheets. I can get the field value easily but need to hardcode the name. Ideally some kind of operator exists such as " PrintFieldName(Myfield.mergecode) ".

Thanks.
Ryan

Hi @ryan_rockwood ,
We are also experienced and advanced users with MongoDB for multiple clients, so i’ve seen this issue.

1. The easy answer: no this is not possible right now but there are a few other approaches for example the “Multiple Routes” you said.

Converger

But I don’t know a way I could get all the different routes to execute the same sequence once done. In other words, make won’t let me connect a couple routes to the same destination… )

I don’t exactly get what you mean, but I believe you are talking about combining all routes into 1 path again in the end. In Make we also call this a “Converger” which is a non existing module, but there are workarounds. You can read more about that here: https://www.make.com/en/help/modules/converger

MongoDB Functions
1.1 Another more advanced way of dynamically doing your database queries is by building your own Javascript functions in the MongoDB App services and bind them to an endpoint. You would need:

• MongoDB Functions
  • Together with MongoDB HTTPS endpoints

This allows you to send HTTP requests to a certain endpoint from Make → which then triggers a javascript function inside of the MongoDB instance → which could do queries, add data, modify data etc.
We’ve done this douzens of times and gives us a lot of power over the data, however this is not an easy way :wink:

1. There is not really a way to grab variables in Make as text, but you can download your scenario blueprint over API. In the JSON which you get, you can find the variable names etc. and extract it.

Hope this helps you :wink:

1 Like

THAT’S exactly what I was trying to accomplish. Thanks. Yea, looks like no good workarounds so I had to have programmers adjust the code. Each time we are forced to do that Make.com’s value is diminished, so hopefully they will continue to bring out standard Zapier features. Although, I did recently notice Zapier didn’t have any Mongodb support - or maybe they have some legacy support. So I guess I can’t complain. Thanks!

Regarding Convergence, yes, that’s exactly needed in a lot of situations and I realized I could accomplish that goal decently with for example, a router with a dozen options each of which could be followed by a web hook to kick off a separate seq. Just a little clunky.

Ryan

1 Like