SLACK <> creating new channel <> Error: invalid_name_specials (200)

I’m trying to create a new Slack channel, using a field from a previous step in my scenario. It’s returning this on the “create new channel” step…

Error: invalid_name_specials (200).

I know that Slack requires channel names to be all lower case, with no special characters of any kind - and I’m sure there must be a way to strip those out, or drop upper case to lower case, but I don’t know how.

Any help is appreciated!

May peace be upon you @Podcast_Fast_Track

To make the word lowercase you can use this function and you can find more such functions here https://www.make.com/en/help/functions/string-functions

Let me know if this worked for you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the help @Automate_with_Rezwan - I have tried that (see the image) and it still is showing the same error.

That only makes it lowercase, but does not remove non-alphabet characters.

You need to also use the built-in function replace with a regex:

{{ replace(lower(2.name); "/[^a-z]+/g"; emptystring) }}

Screenshot_2023-12-21_100342

3 Likes

Hi @Podcast_Fast_Track

Please use the {{lower}} function to make the text lowercase and the {{replace}} function to change any special characters. Remember, the {{lower}} function only works with text (strings), so ensure that the name variable is mapped as a string, not a collection.

If you require additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
MSquare Support
Visit us here
Youtube Channel

2 Likes

@samliew - that fixed my Slack problem - thank you!

No problem, glad I could help!

In future, please create a new thread for each question. This makes it easier for others with the same problem to search for the answer. Thank you for your cooperation!

The Make Community guidelines encourages users to try to mark helpful replies as solutions to help keep the Community organized.

This marks the topic as solved, so that:

• others can save time when catching up with the latest activity here, and
  • allows others to quickly jump to the solution if they come across the same problem

To do this, simply click the checkbox at the bottom of the post that answers your question:
Screenshot_2023-10-04_161049

2 Likes