Trigger from google forms

Hello,

I am trying to find the right trigger, after a google forms response has been submitted, to then reference the information from that response in google sheets.

When I select the google Sheets ‘watch new rows’ trigger, it often doesnt activate when a new response is added, despite adding a new row/

When I select the google forma ‘watch responses’ trigger, it then won’t let me reference the information in the response further down the line. Instead it only allows me to reference ‘response ID’, ‘create time’, ‘respondent email’ etc.

Please may someone advise? Many thanks

Welcome to the Make community!

This is because the module is a POLLING trigger, and not an INSTANT (Webhook) trigger.

There are two main types of triggers, Polling (scheduled), and Instant (webhooks). Polling triggers can only run on a schedule. Instant triggers can be run as soon as data is received by the webhook.

Polling means Make checks external service for changes (pull changes to Make).
Webhook (instant) triggers means external service calls Make when there are new changes (push changes to Make).

The module you are using does not push changes — it’s basically a API request that Make has to occasionally “call” to fetch the latest changes/items.

To find out more on the different types of Trigger modules, see refer to Types of Modules and Webhooks sections of the Make help center.

See if your app has an “Instant” or “Webhook” trigger in Make. If not, check if the third-party service has a feature that can send out a webhooks when content is created/updated - and then you can point it to a “Custom Webhook” trigger in your scenario.

samliewrequest private consultation

2 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for your advice. I have since swapped the trigger to ‘watch changes’, and scheduled for ‘immediately as data arrives’, however, when the form is filled in, it does not trigger, not does it recognise the response when I manually run the programme. It only seems to trigger when I manually enter the data into the form response sheet. Please may you advise? Many thanks.