Creating an instant trigger from Google Forms

Hi, I’m trying to set up a scenario that is instantly triggered whenever a Google Form receives a new response.

I’ve been playing with the ‘watch responses - ACID’ module (that says it’s triggered when a new response is received), and the ‘watch responses in Google Sheets’ module, but every time I try to bring them into a scenario, it seems to insist on being scheduled. The watch icon is always there and I can’t see any options to trigger anything immediately - there are only options about when to schedule.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,

ACID modules support rollback. Google Forms app in Make doesn’t have an instant trigger so scenario will have to be scheduled.

You may try using custom webhook module if Google Forms support webhooks.

Hope this points you in the right direction, Thanks.

2 Likes

This is because the “watch responses” module is a POLLING trigger, and not an INSTANT (Webhook) trigger.

There are two main types of triggers, Polling (scheduled), and Instant (webhooks). Polling triggers can only run on a schedule. Instant triggers can be run as soon as data is received by the webhook.

Polling means Make checks external service for changes (pull changes to Make).
Webhook (instant) triggers means external service calls Make when there are new changes (push changes to Make).

The module you are using does not push changes — it’s basically a API request that Make has to occasionally “call” to fetch the latest changes/items.

To find out more on the different types of Trigger modules, see refer to Types of Modules and Webhooks sections of the Make help center.

See if your app has an “Instant” or “Webhook” trigger in Make. If not, check if the third-party service has a feature that can send out a webhooks when content is created/updated - and then you can point it to a “Custom Webhook” trigger in your scenario.

2 Likes

Thanks @Raj_Bajaj and @samliew ! Make has a webhook extension for Google Sheets, so I’m playing around with this now. Thanks for getting me unstuck!

1 Like

No problem, glad I could help!

In future, please create a new thread for each question. This makes it easier for others with the same problem to search for the answer. Thank you for your cooperation!

The Make Community guidelines encourages users to try to mark helpful replies as solutions to help keep the Community organized.

This marks the topic as solved, so that:

• others can save time when catching up with the latest activity here, and
  • allows others to quickly jump to the solution if they come across the same problem

To do this, simply click the checkbox at the bottom of the post that answers your question:
Screenshot_2023-10-04_161049

1 Like