Trying to Replace text with nothing

I’m new to Make and running my first scenarios. I am getting an unexpected result with text-replace and hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. Here is my issue:

Trigger – new email, identified by a prefix in the email’s Subject line
Text-replace – to remove the prefix and keep the remain Subject line as text
Problem = can not get text with only the remaining Subject line characters

Leave the New Value field empty – the result is the prefix is replaced with the characters “null”
Place various escape characters in the New Value field – the prefix is replaced with those characters.

Thank you for your help,

Edit: uploaded bundles and screenshot – with the New Value field empty and with an “e”

blueprint.json (30.8 KB)

Welcome to the Make community!

1. Screenshots of module fields and filters

Please share screenshots of relevant module fields and filters in question? It would really help other community members to see what you’re looking at.

You can upload images here using the Upload icon in the text editor:

2. Scenario blueprint

Please export the scenario blueprint file to allow others to view the mappings and settings. At the bottom of the scenario editor, you can click on the three dots to find the Export Blueprint menu item.

(Note: Exporting your scenario will not include private information or keys to your connections)

Uploading it here will look like this:

blueprint.json (12.3 KB)

3. And most importantly, Output bundles

Please provide the output bundles of the modules by running the scenario, then click the white speech bubble on the top-right of each module, save the contents as a text file, and upload it here into this discussion thread:

Providing the output bundles will allow others to replicate what is going on in the scenario even if they do not use the external service.

Following these steps will allow others to assist you here. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @John_Appleton ,

If I well understand your problem: you want to replace a substring (e.g., “newdoc”) by nothing in a string (e.g., “newdoc John Testing”) giving with the given example “John Testing”.
There are to way to do this:

Here is the blueprint I used for testing:
Trying to Replace text with nothing.json (9.6 KB)



Thank you! Thank you!
I used your Text Parser example. It was exactly what I was looking for.
I had not realized this is how to use the Text function and its Keywords.
I can see how useful your Variable example will be for more elaborate scenarios.
Gratefully, John