Using Data Store as "master queue"

Hello there,

I have 30 different Make scenarios that all result in some output that I would like to queue up into one “master queue”.

Then, I’d like to process that “master queue” slowly over time (i.e. every 60 seconds).

I was thinking about using the Data Store as my “master queue”, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to tell Make to retrieve items from a data store by looping through the items in the data store from earliest to latest.

It seems like we can only retrieve items from the Data Store by searching for a particular item, so it seems like I can’t use the Data Store for this?

I was also thinking about queuing up all of my items in a webhook, and then create a scenario that processes the webhook queue with a 60-second delay in between each item in the webhook.

But the problem here is that I might have thousands of items, which would far exceed the 40-minute runtime limit on Make’s scenario runs.

Am I correct in assuming that my best way to do this would be to simply store up all of my items in an external database like Airtable, instead of trying to store these items in Make? With an Airtable scenario, I can put it on a schedule and always retrieve the earliest item.

You’ll need to insert a date column so that you can sort them, and you’ll need a status column so you can mark them as “done” (or simply delete them).

3 Likes

Hi @samliew,

Thank you for this idea! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem, glad I could help!

1. If you have a new question in the future, please start a new thread. This makes it easier for others with the same problem to search for the answers to specific questions, and you are more likely to receive help since newer questions are monitored closely.

2. The Make Community guidelines encourages users to try to mark helpful replies as solutions to help keep the Community organized.

This marks the topic as solved, so that:

others can save time when catching up with the latest activity here, and

• allows others to quickly jump to the solution if they come across the same problem

To do this, simply click the checkbox at the bottom of the post that answers your question:
Screenshot_2023-10-04_161049

3. Don’t forget to like and bookmark this topic so you can get back to it easily in future!

samliewrequest private consultation

2 Likes