What is the best way to replicate the functionality of Xlookup in Make with Google Sheets?

Use case: get data point X from Make module, search Google Sheets column A for value X, return value of column B in same row into Make.

Example use case: I want to send a Discord message (or a tagged post) to a handle that corresponds to a user ID in another app, say Trello, when something is assigned to that user. Make needs to know which Discord handle goes with which user ID in the task management app. Is there some way besides using a Google Sheets module that I can create that “lookup table” within Make, say a data store or set variable situation of some kind? Anyone have an elegant way to do it? Thanks in advance.

Hi :wave:t5:

The lookup table is the simplest and often most effective solution for these use cases in general.

An alternative to the lookup table is using the “Switch” function or module.
The function, especially, can save you some operations. It, however, is not dynamic and you would have to add a new possibility (“result”) with every new addition/record you work with.

It then all depends on the specifics of your scenario flow/idea.

I, personally, prefer a dynamic lookup table in the Data Store.

Cheerio
2 Likes

Yeah since originally posting this I have learned more about data stories from the partner training and that does seem like a promising avenue.

2 Likes