WhatsApp Business Cloud Coexistence – Watch Events not receiving messages

:bullseye: What is your goal?

Connect my existing WhatsApp Business App number to Make using Coexistence and receive incoming WhatsApp messages through the WhatsApp Business Cloud “Watch Events” module.

:thinking: What is the problem & what have you tried?

I am trying to connect an existing WhatsApp Business App phone number to Make using WhatsApp Business Cloud Coexistence.

The Coexistence connection was successfully created in Make through the “WhatsApp Business App (Coexistence)” signup mode. Meta shows Make as the only partner with full access to the WhatsApp Business Account.

The connection itself appears to work: the “Get a Business Profile” module runs successfully and returns the business profile and Sender ID.

However, the “Watch Events” module does not receive any incoming messages.

I created a completely separate test scenario containing only one WhatsApp Business Cloud → Watch Events module. I created a new webhook using the Coexistence connection and selected only “Messages” as the event. I started the scenario with “Run once” and then sent a new message from another WhatsApp account.

The message was successfully received in the WhatsApp Business mobile app, but Make remained on “Waiting for data” and no bundle was generated.

In Meta Business Manager → WhatsApp Accounts → Phone numbers, the phone number has remained in “Pending” status for approximately two weeks. Meta displays a message saying that the phone number must be registered using the API or by a partner.

I also tried the “Register a Sender” module in Make using the same Coexistence connection. It failed with a 400 / Invalid parameter error stating that the phone number is already registered with an existing WhatsApp account and would need to be disconnected first.

Since this is specifically a Coexistence setup, I do not want to disconnect the number from the existing WhatsApp Business App.

Could you please advise how to complete the Coexistence registration and resolve the Pending phone number status so that incoming “Messages” webhook events are delivered to Make?

:clipboard: Error messages or input/output bundles

[400] [100] Invalid parameter
This phone number is registered with an existing WhatsApp account. To use this number, disconnect it from the existing account.

Hi Olga, The key detail here is the “Pending phone number status”. Since Get a Business Profile works but Watch Events never receives the message, the Make connection itself is likely fine, the Coexistence provisioning on Meta is what I’d investigate.

I wouldn’t use Register a Sender to fix this. That module is attempting an API registration, which explains the “number already registered” 400 because the number is still attached to the WhatsApp Business App.

For Coexistence, the number needs to be successfully provisioned by Meta while remaining connected to the Business App. I’d check the WABA/phone-number status and webhook subscription in Meta. If it has been “Pending for two weeks”, this is likely stuck on Meta’s side and needs to be resolved there before messages events can reach Make.

So I’d focus on clearing the “Pending Coexistence registration”, rather than recreating the Make webhook.

Thank you, this is very helpful and confirms what I suspected.

The phone number has indeed remained in Pending status for about two weeks, while the WhatsApp Business App itself continues to work normally.

Since the Coexistence onboarding was initiated through Make and Make is shown in Meta as the partner with full access, could you please advise where exactly I should resolve the Pending Coexistence provisioning?

Should this be handled through Meta Business Support, or is there a specific step/settings page in Meta that I should check first?

Since Make is already showing as the partner with full access, I’d check the WhatsApp Manager → WhatsApp Accounts → Phone Numbers entry first and confirm whether the number has an actual Cloud API Phone Number ID and whether its status is still Pending.

If it remains Pending after two weeks, I wouldn’t disconnect or re-register the number. At that point, I’d open a Meta Business Support case specifically for the Coexistence phone-number provisioning/registration, because Make cannot complete the Meta-side provisioning itself.

When contacting Meta, I’d provide the WABA ID, Phone Number ID, Business Portfolio ID, the date Coexistence onboarding was completed, and a screenshot showing Pending. Ask them to verify why the Coexistence phone-number resource has not been provisioned/registered for Cloud API.

Once Meta resolves that Pending state, I’d then re-test the Make Watch Events webhook rather than recreating the whole Coexistence connection. Recent Make Community cases show that Meta can report the partner connection successfully while the underlying phone resource is still not fully queryable.

Thank you very much for your help and for taking the time to look into this issue. I really appreciate your assistance.

You’re very welcome! :blush: I’m glad we could narrow down what’s happening.
Happy automating!