WhatsApp Coexistence: Watch Events does not expose smb_message_echoes

:bullseye: What is your goal?

Capture in Make the messages sent manually from the WhatsApp Business app in a Coexistence setup, so they can be written to our CRM without duplicates.

:thinking: What is the problem & what have you tried?

Inbound messages and delivery statuses arrive correctly through WhatsApp Business Cloud > Watch Events, but messages sent from the WhatsApp Business mobile or desktop app never reach the scenario. Meta uses the smb_message_echoes webhook field for these app-sent messages. We verified that the production WABA and number are connected; the Make solution-provider app is subscribed to the WABA; ordinary messages and statuses reach Make; and a separate Meta app with a verified per-WABA callback still does not receive the app-sent echoes, which remain routed to the solution-provider app. Make’s Watch Events selector offers Messages, Message Statuses, Message Template Status Update, Account Review Update, Account Update, Business Capability Update, Phone Number Name Update, and Phone Number Quality Update, but no smb_message_echoes. This points to a connector/provider capability gap rather than a webhook, timestamp, device, or filtering problem. Does Make currently support or forward smb_message_echoes for WhatsApp Coexistence connections? If yes, what exact configuration is required? If not, can this field be added to Watch Events or enabled for the Make solution-provider app?

:clipboard: Error messages or input/output bundles

No error is produced. The manually sent message simply never appears in Watch Events, while ordinary messages and statuses continue to arrive.

This is pointing specifically to a smb_message_echoes support gap, not a webhook/filtering problem. Your test with a separate Meta app is particularly useful because it confirms the app-sent echoes are being routed to Make’s solution-provider subscription rather than your callback.

Since Make’s Coexistence Watch Events does not expose smb_message_echoes, there doesn’t appear to be a scenario-level setting that will make those events appear.

I’d raise this with Make Support using the exact terms “WhatsApp Coexistence”, “smb_message_echoes”, and “solution-provider WABA webhook subscription” and ask whether Make receives the field but doesn’t expose it, or whether it is currently unsupported by their WhatsApp connector.

If it’s the latter, this would need to be addressed at the Make connector/provider level, rather than by changing your webhook configuration.

I’m curious, did you find a way around this? I am looking for a walkaround with this same issues

Does Make support smb_message_echoes for WhatsApp Coexistence? Incoming messages reach my scenario, but replies sent from the WhatsApp Business app do not. How can I capture those replies?

Please, which Coexistence BSP are you using?

Have any of you contacted Make support already?

You can open a ticket with the Customer Care team. This community consists of Make users and enthusiasts who can help you only so far. The official Make support has access to internal systems and logs, and can help you with technical issues, bugs, and all other questions regarding Make.

When you get the issue resolved, feel free to post it in the community to contribute to the knowledge base, we’re building here!

Thank you :folded_hands:

Thanks. I’ve now confirmed the issue more precisely.

I use the WhatsApp Business app normally on my phone, alongside WhatsApp Business Cloud in Make.

Incoming WhatsApp messages and photos are successfully being added to the correct customer Trello card through Make.

The missing part is messages and photos I send from the WhatsApp Business phone app. These do not trigger Make’s Watch Events module.

I understand Meta provides these through smb_message_echoes when using WhatsApp Coexistence.

Can Make receive smb_message_echoes for an existing WhatsApp Business Cloud connection? If so, exactly how do I configure this in Make?

I specifically want to continue sending messages normally from the WhatsApp Business app — I do not want to send them from Make or move to another paid WhatsApp platform.

Thanks,
Simon