87 apps & 338 Operations to create a personal city data report

My wife and I are planning on moving this year. We have several criteria that we would like a city to have, so instead of doing the research manually and having to visit several websites to copy/paste data, I built a scenario that does the bulk of it for me. All I do is enter the zip code and city/state in variables and the scenario does the rest!

Hopefully you guys will appreciate what went into this. My wife said it was “neat” :rofl:

All of the collected data goes into a nicely formatted Google Doc for printing or sharing.

It outputs the following:

• Names the Google Doc: “Report for city/state”
  • A brief summary and history about the city. (OpenAI)
  • Current weather (weather app, Math app to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit)
  • Weather forecast for the next 2 weeks (weather app, Math app to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit)
  • Cost of Living (OpenAI)
  • Demographics (OpenAI)

Lists 10 of each:

• Hospitals (Google Maps)
  • Restaurants (Google Maps)
  • Grocery stores (Google Maps)
  • Coffee shops (Google Maps)
  • Parks (Google Maps)
  • Bars & Clubs (Google Maps)
  • Museums and Art Galleries (Google Maps)

Creating a new branch is as easy as copying the last one and replacing the search term I want. For example, if I wanted to add dog parks or bike trails, I select the whole branch and then copy/paste the apps into a new branch and edit for those keywords.

To avoid Google Maps limits and errors (I think my API only allows so many results per time period.), I added 1 minute delays for each branch running Google Maps.

Overall, it was fun to put together, but it drains my operations quickly and it takes about 15 minutes to complete. I think my next phase may be to create an online form to enter the zip/city/state and then email a URL to the Google Doc…we’ll see.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Make community!

For completeness, could you either share example reports that were outputted by this scenario, and perhaps a blueprint export so that others can tinker with or even improve on it?

Scenario blueprint

To export the scenario blueprint file, at the bottom of the scenario editor, you can click on the three dots to find the Export Blueprint menu item.

Screenshot_2023-08-24_230826
(Note: Exporting your scenario will not include keys to your connections)

1 Like

Here is a fresh report for Austin, TX.

I’ve never exported a scenario, so give me a bit to see how that works. I don’t want any of my app data included.

2 Likes