Append or Overwrite Google Sheet Data

Hi,

We are wanting to move the latest file from a Dropbox folder and paste that data into an existing Google Sheet. Is it possible to append or overwrite existing data in a Google Sheet?

We need to have a static reference for Google Sheets.

Thank you!

David

Hey sure!

Here is a very basic way to do it. It’s not necessarily the most efficient way but it does the job.

The logic is the following:

1. You need to find a way to store the actual content of the cell. I did this with get Range Values.

in my case, the content was:

1. The second step is essentially updating the same row with the CURRENT CONTENT + THE NEW ONE. Something like this.:

Here’s the result:

Hope this helped! Let me know if you need anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for your comments and explanation! That solution seems to add additional data but does not overwrite the original?

Our inventory system automatically downloads update inventory reports to a dropbox folder. We want to find the newest file and send that to an existing Google Sheet tab.

We are wanting to overwrite the original data in that Google Sheet tab with the new data so as to update our inventory status.

Is there a way to overwrite the original with the new data?

Thanks again!

David

Hi @FFH,

Your best bet is probably to do a bulk update using the “Make API call” module. Here is the Google Sheets API documentation for that endpoint: https://developers.google.com/sheets/api/reference/rest/v4/spreadsheets/batchUpdate

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

TBH that looks above my pay grade.

But it’s good to know it can be done.

David

It may be above your pay grade today but try it and you can higher your pay grade!

2 Likes

Hey, Sure…You could simply add the data in any field you want.
I added next to it so you can see the difference :slight_smile:

1 Like

@FFH We have built a custom app to do batch append. If you are interested for a demo, Feel free to book a slot from Calendly:

2 Likes