Building a query from Monday board

I’ve actually managed to sort it but its turning out to be a monster, Is this the right layout or is this overly complicated?

to describe what I’m doing:

1. Search the main board and return results where scheduled date is today.
  2. Router.
  3. Filter who the project is assigned to.
  4. Search persons own board for an item with the same name.
  5. Get the value of individual time tracking column on the main board.
  6. Iterator - pulls array of time tracking records.
  7. Filter to only use results from today.
  8. Aggregator - performs a calculation {{if(3.ended_at = null; formatDate(now; "x") - formatDate(3.started_at; "x"); formatDate(3.ended_at; "x") - formatDate(3.started_at; "x"))}}
  9. Aggregator - take the result from above and divide by 1000, then divide by 60 (gets the output in to minutes)
  10. Insert the final result in a column called numbers on individual board.

I don’t know if I can cut down some of the tools or use something different?

also I’ve had an email saying I’m going to hit my limit of operations, so is that 10 operations per line each minute above? so potentially 50 operations a minute for this scenario?

I have 13 staff I’d be running this scenario for, scheduled for 8 hours a day,

so 10 operations * 13 staff, 130 operations, * 480 minutes a day, so 62,400 operations a day, * 5 days a week, 312,000 operations a week… but I have 4 different scenarios running as I am checking 4 main boards - so 1.3m operations a week?

That cant be right?

Maybe I can cut it down somehow?

@johnners

Some thoughts:

1. Optimally, you would want to only execute when there are changes. This could be triggered by a webhook.
  2. Does the time amount need to be updated every minute? Why not every hour? Or once each day?
  3. If you do have to run through every board every time, you might want to put the boards in an array and iterate the array. This would give just one path, making changes, enhancements, etc. much easier.
  4. You probably could only process/update the boards that had changes.

@JimTheMondayMan

The issue is that this is a timing update - it sounds mad but the staff struggle to know how long they’ve spent on a project on a single day - so this adds it up for them, if they do 5 mins and 25 mins and 4 hours and 18 mins then they can look at the column and it says 4h 48m, so it needs to be running from 8am to 6pm. Thats also the issue with a webhook as I dont know if that would see the timer running.

I only need to update the actual job thats being worked on - maybe I’ll look for a column that says “time tracker active” or something then I could just filter by that.

@johnners

You might consider changing your layout…

Change the timer column to be used for the day. On a nightly basis, save the data from the timer as needed and clear it for the next day.

@JimTheMondayMan

Thats a really good idea however I’m struggling to take the info from a time tracker and inserting it into an alternative time tracker somewhere?

Any ideas how to do that?
I’ve got an update column values of a specific item set up, but in the drop down of columns it refuses to show any time tracking column, so I cant seem to add the time.

This is my test board

This is the drop down of available columns to update…
monday2

I’ve been attempting to get this to work and finally just now I’ve got this error

The operation failed with an error. [200] This column type is not supported yet in the api [ Error Code: ColumnValueException / Error Details: {"column_type":"DurationColumn"} ]

I don’t know if thats Monday not allowing make to insert data in the column or if its Make who cant communicate but I think that breaks that idea again…

@johnners

That is correct, it is not supported. What I was implying was that for each day, you would just save the total time. It would be possilbe to save the detail. But not to a time tracking column… and definitely more complex.

Jim - The Monday Man (YouTube Channel) Our latest vid: Reading REALLY Large monday Boards
What is Make & How can it help you with monday?
We Create Custom Solutions - Your Make or Ours
Schedule a 1-on-1 Tutorial Session (for monday, Make or “Rocket Science”)

@JimTheMondayMan

Ah I see, is there anyway to insert time etc in to a time tracker field? Integration or api etc or is it totally locked?

@johnners

Currently, totally locked. It can be cleared via normal automations.

Jim - The Monday Man (YouTube Channel) Our latest vid: Reading REALLY Large monday Boards
What is Make & How can it help you with monday?
We Create Custom Solutions - Your Make or Ours
Schedule a 1-on-1 Tutorial Session (for monday, Make or “Rocket Science”)