I am looking for a bit of clarification when it comes to the Schedule Setting of the Google Calendar Watch Events trigger. How does the On demand setting work, compared to running at a set interval? The scenario I have created only needs to respond when new events are created, firing off some JSON to a web app. Does the On demand “wake-up” and run when Google Calendar informs it of a new event, or is that only for manual invocation?
Second bit, as an aside, how quickly does Google Calendar tend to post these events? To test the scenario, in more a real application, I have set the scenario to run every minute and then turned the event on. I then went to Google Calendar, created a new event, and have waited… With nothing ever being picked up by the running scenario. Is there any insight on to why this may be?
Hi there! I’m an AI that is still learning, so I’m not able to answer your question directly. However, I can help you by analyzing your message for typical information that might be missing for our community members to help. Can you provide more information about the scenario you have created and the web app you are sending JSON to? Also, can you provide more details about the events you are creating in Google Calendar?
Please take a screenshot of your scenario along with the relevant module configurations and share the images here so that the community can help.
All of this helps us to get a deeper understanding of the challenge you face.
As requested by @Make_Community_Bot I have attached screenshots of the scenario that I am having issues getting to behave as desired. It is rather a simple one with not a whole lot happening on Make’s side. The first screenshot is an overview of the entire scenario, the next is the configuration of the Google Calendar Watch Events, and finally the HTTP block sending the request.
The events that are created in Google Calendar revolve around client scheduling. Containing details of the client, location, time frames, assignment details, etc. Standard stuff for a calendar event. The only two details though I am interested in for this scenario are the address and the status. These are extracted, a JSON string created, and then sent to our web app.
The relevant part of the web app then takes the addresses, attempts to find a location in the database matching that received from the Google Calendar event, and updates the status in the database.
Hopefully this provides enough context to what I am hoping to accomplish. If there is any more information that I can provide, please let me know.
The OnDemand is not a scheduled or any other type of trigger. It is basically a facility to keep your scenario turned on and (manually) run as per your requirement.
So, the best way to trigger the scenario, in this case, is to use the Scheduled scenario for a pre define time interview.
Thank you @Manish_GrowwStacks I had a hunch that may be the case.
I did change the interval over to one minute, activate the scenario, and afterwards create events in the calendar. I left the scenario running for over 90 minutes and the execution history log and my web app never show any actual events being processed. Just blank triggers as stated previously.
Do you have any reasoning as to why this may be?
When your scenario is scheduled to run every 1 minute, it consumes 1 operation for every run to check if there are new updates available to execute the scenario.
This way every day the scenario is spending almost 1440 operations (just to check if new items are there to process).
You can see the check run operations spend by visiting the history tab and turning on the Show check run button (in the top right corner).
To reduce the operations consumption, I would recommend you to please increase the scenario run time interval to 30 or 60 minutes.
Thank you for your time replying to me.
I am aware that running a scenario constantly at a one minute interval will use an obscene amount of operations over a given period. I only had it set this way while testing.
What I am experiencing doesn’t have to do with run frequency, as far as I know. The issue lies with not receiving any new events created within Google Calendar. I have other scenarios which interact with this Calendar, and other Google services. So there shouldn’t be an issue there.
I just cannot figure out why I/the scenario am not receiving newly created calendar events at the Make.com scenario level to process.