Google Photos Cloud API - 403: PERMISSION_DENIED

I face an issue with Google Photos Cloud API. I created everything setup as required, user, scopes etc, and when I run the automation, the Google Photos step shows:

The operation failed with an error. 403: PERMISSION_DENIED - Request had insufficient authentication scopes.

The Google Photos application is right now in TESTING. So if I understand correctly, I need to publish it and thereby (same thing??) have the application verified.

When I go to do that, the page asks me for a lot of information such as the official link to Privacy Policy, Youtube video showing how I plan to use data, written explanation telling Google why I need access to sensitive data and !!! verified domains in Google search console…

This is crazy a lot of requirements just to be able access my own Google Photos album for myself. Is this the only way to do that?

All I am trying to do is to add to my workflow a step to REMOVE an image from an ALBUM in Google photos. I am not even deleting the image, just moving it from the album.

And it is my own Google account.

Is there any way to go around this issue with the Google Cloud. I am not a eve a company. How to deal with this whole nine yards that Google asks me to do.

I remember in the past when I submitted this type of application but didn’t include the information they ask for, they didn’t even bother to respond. No response at all from Google.

I followed this page for setup for the API call:

Hi there,
The error “Google Photos Cloud API - 403: PERMISSION_DENIED” typically means that the request to access the Google Photos Cloud API has been denied due to insufficient permissions. This can happen if the API key or access token used in the request does not have the necessary permissions to perform the requested operation.

Can you please check What permission does it have?

2 Likes