How to configure HTTP module to use Twitter API?

If not the HTTP module, then how to do so with the Twitter “Make an API Call” module?

Context: I would like to reply to a Tweet that was posted earlier in the scenario.

From what I have been told, “Make is using version 1.0 of the API, not 2.0 so adjust endpoints accordingly”

…and from what I have Googled, I think this is in the right territory:

…using the optional, in_reply_to_status_id

Any suggestions and solutions greatly appreciated, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

From this StackOverflow question I think the basic JSON is like so:

{
    in_reply_to_status_id_str: {Tweet ID},
}

…and there are some issues re: how the Tweet ID is handled (e.g. may need explicit handling as base64? FWIW, I tried both ...id and ...id_str wrapping the latter in quotes).

Every time I try this in Make, I get an error “[403] Missing required parameter: status.” …wtaf?

Here’s the setup…

create a JSON object:

use the Twitter API:

Results:

@mixelpix It seems like these objects like “status” are URL parameters and not body objects. Add them in the query string instead and see if that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @Bjorn.drivn - I will give it a go but iirc e.g. using curl and given the API docs, the POST to /1.1/statuses/update.json requires the JSON as a data object (e.g. -d {"JS":"ON"}

1 Like

LOL

Well… goes to show wtaf I know :innocent:

Thanks so much @Bjorn.drivn - I never would have even tried query params if you hadn’t suggested them :heart:

1 Like

Good you solved it with our help @mixelpix :wink:

It actually does not, when you look into the API docs it states this:

curl -XPOST 
  --url 'https://api.twitter.com/1.1/statuses/update.json?status=hello' 
  --header 'authorization: OAuth
  oauth_consumer_key="oauth_customer_key",
  oauth_nonce="generated_oauth_nonce",
  oauth_signature="generated_oauth_signature",
  oauth_signature_method="HMAC-SHA1",
  oauth_timestamp="generated_timestamp",
  oauth_token="oauth_token",
  oauth_version="1.0"'

If you look at the URL, you see the “status” is a query parameter. Great you got it sorted now !

2 Likes

Thanks @Bjorn.drivn

I was mis-reading the blurb re: using “twurl”

You can use also use any other OAuth helper library you’d like such as twurl.

e.g.

$ twurl -d 'status=Test tweet using the POST statuses/update endpoint' /1.1/statuses/update.json
1 Like

Hey guys! Would you have any idea of how to get an entire twitter thread? I’m pulling my hair out trying to make it work

@Pianity have you read twitter’s api docs? If not, start there.

@mixelpix I think he was asking for “suggestions and solutions”.

@Pianity I have no experience with this, so you’l have to check it out yourself :wink:
But try something with the search query API call. You can use a query like this:

from:{{user_id}} to:{{user_id}} conversation_id:{{tweet_id}}

It could look something like:

$ curl --request GET 
 --url 'https://api.twitter.com/1.1/search/tweets.json?q=conversation_id%3A1334987486343299072&result_type=popular' 

More information on building the actual query can be found here.

2 Likes

@1cloud certainly & hence I suggested reading the api docs because therein lies the solution.

What are you doing posting questions here then? :roll_eyes:

@1cloud if you want the question answered, I suggest you pose the question to the community. This thread already has a solution.