Monday.com Module Changes Due to New 2023-10 API Version (with Breaking Changes)

Hi @Michaela ,

I’m reaching out regarding the anticipated updates for Make + monday.com, which seem to be a common point of discussion among many consultants. I don’t claim to speak for everybody, however there’s been a growing expectation for a significant update recently, and I wanted to convey the sense of urgency and the impact its absence is having.

Our clients are also your customers, so I think we have a unified duty of care in this case. The main message we can give them is, “we’re waiting on Make,” which isn’t ideal for maintaining their trust in both the product and our services.

The crux of the matter is the lack of clarity on what to expect from Make’s forthcoming update. Will it just be an option to change API Version? How will modules be updated? Since the changes are focused on reducing data in response to requests, will you be detecting where data is used and requesting that specifically? How will you handle the lack of “text” field returning—will you automatically update that to display value? Have monday.com shown resistance to that? I hope we won’t be made to wait until the update is released in order to have some clue about what actions Make is taking.

I don’t necessarily expect answers to all those questions, but understanding your approach in advance is crucial for us to prepare and communicate effectively with our clients. They are keenly interested in:

• Purpose: Why additional investment is needed in systems we’ve recently set up or updated. I’m prepared to address this with our clients.
  • Budget: The costs involved with the update. We’re currently unable to provide estimates without a clearer picture from your end.
  • Timeline: When these changes will be implemented. This remains unknown to us as well.

We’re at a point where we’re telling clients about a necessary maintenance with no defined budget, due by January 15th, without knowing when we can start. This situation is far from ideal for both your and our clients.

I apologize for the directness, but it’s crucial we get more information on this. Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Hello @Frank_Elliott

Our engineering team is actively working on the update to ensure a smooth transition with the upcoming changes. Unfortunately, we don’t have specific details or an exact ETA to share externally right now. Development timelines can be dynamic, and providing accurate details is challenging at this stage.

As soon as we have specific information end ETA to share, we will make absolutely sure to keep all the Make <> monday.com users informed.

I completely understand the anticipation and I’m really sorry that I don’t have more details to share at this time.

Thank you for your understanding and patience as we navigate through the development process. :pray:

1 Like

Hi @Michaela ,

Are there any updates on the status that you can share with us?

We have just a bit over a month left before cutover.

Hello @Viktoriia

The team is currently in the final stages of development and testing. We’re preparing to provide comprehensive information about the upcoming changes and what they mean for our users in a few days.

Once again, thanks for your patience and understanding :pray:

6 Likes

Has the switch (or requirement to switch) from text to display_value been abandoned?

Presumably they have walked that change back… this was probably my single biggest concern about 2023-10. If lobbying to keep this as “text” is the reason for the delay in releasing the Make update (pure speculation)—then it has been worth it! :slight_smile:

(this is from the migration guide that seems to show conflicting information)

EDIT: I must have incredible timing!

Hello everybody @here :wave:

We genuinely appreciate all the valuable insights shared in this thread. Thanks a lot for staying engaged while our dev team was hard at work incorporating the Monday API changes into our modules.

:tada: We can now confirm that we’ve successfully updated our Monday app to accommodate all API changes that could affect your scenarios, except for one module.

:loudspeaker: :loudspeaker: The only module affected by this change is Execute a GraphQL Query.
To help you with this transition, the Execute a GraphQL Query module has been updated.

The Execute a GraphQL Query module has a new dropdown field called API Version. The default value of this field is currently set to 2023-07(deprecated) for any existing scenario.

Users must update their queries for this module to comply with the syntax requirements for the new 2023-10 API update.

On Monday, January 15, 2024, the default value of this dropdown field will change to 2023-10 (stable), the 2023-07 API will be deprecated, and 2023-07 syntax for queries will no longer work.

Please make sure to adjust your scenarios to comply with new Monday API syntax requirements by Sunday, January 14, 2024 to avoid any potential interruptions caused by failed runs.

4 Likes

This is awesome news and it seems like the transition will be a lot more comfortable than previously expected. I can imagine this was a huge amount of work, and I think everyone will really appreciate how simple you’ve made it.

I would still say:

1. I’m not convinced that there couldn’t have been more communication regarding the approach prior to now.
  2. It would have been welcome if you had preannounced the rollout date of these changes (even by a day or so).

One of my clients had an error in their scenario that searched items via the Salesforce integration column, which I am assuming stopped working because all their modules changed API version automatically this morning. Admittedly that isn’t something that has ever been officially supported and the fix was trivial. However, just knowing that the changes would come today (if that is what happened) would have allowed me to allocate some time to manage potential issues.

7 Likes

@Michaela thanks for keeping us updated.

1. Can you please confirm that all existing Monday.com modules have been updated 100% (except the “Execute a GraphQL Query” module) and it’s safe to go ahead and make any necessary changes to scenarios?

With the rollout of Monday’s new API multiple modules are not working as intended and we need to make quite a few changes to several scenarios.

1. Will there be an email announcement anytime soon to users that use Monday.com modules in their scenarios?
3 Likes

@steve.juba

1. Yes, that is exactly right :slightly_smiling_face:

2. We sent out an email a couple of hours ago. All our Monday users should be able to locate it in their inbox.

1 Like

Thanks Michaela - are you able to post a copy of the email here? I assume it will go to the IT team and it would be useful us as developers to see.

Sounds like a great end-result, so thank you to the Make/Monday team for smoothing what could have been very painful!

Me sale el siguiente error en varios escenarios, agradeceria que alguien me pudiese ayudar

Hello @Matthew_Haigh

Great to hear that you’re happy with the results :slightly_smiling_face:

The technical instructions in the email and in this community update are identical. All the important information is posted here:

@REIngenieria

In the community, it’s generally more effective to start a fresh topic for each new question rather than commenting on older threads. When you initiate a new conversation, you’re more likely to catch the community’s attention and receive the help you need.

Thanks for helping to keep the community organized and making it easier for everyone to share and find the information they need. :pray:

1 Like

If you want to know which scenarios all use the GraphQL module, you can find out as follows:

6 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing @Blinno this is super helpful :pray:

2 Likes