Output from HubSpot `Get a Contact` module is limited

Objective
I want to create a Scenario that adds a new row in a Google Sheets spreadsheet when a new Contact is created in HubSpot. I only want several fields from the Contact to be populated in the new row of the spreadsheet, delimited by columns.

Context
I created a Private App in HubSpot and configured everything as instructed, including authorizing Make to have access to all Contact data. The webhook works reliably, and I am also able to retrieve the relevant Contact without issue.

Workflow

1. Webhooks (Custom webhook): listens to HubSpot for new Contacts (immediate)
  2. HubSpot CRM (Get a Contact): finds the Contact in HubSpot
  3. Google Sheets (Add a row): Adds a row into a spreadsheet with select fields from the newly created Contact

Problem
I am unable to populate the Google Sheet spreadsheet with data from all of the fields I desire from the HubSpot Contact. There are currently 2 things I am having trouble with:

1. While building out the HubSpot (Get a Contact) module, I am unable to find all of the fields I want to pull into the spreadsheet
  2. While troubleshooting, I noticed that the HubSpot (Get a Contact) module only produces an Output consisting of several fields, which do not include all of the inputs provided during the creation of the Contact in HubSpot

The way I see it, when I fetch the Contact from HubSpot, HubSpot only passes a few fields about the Contact, from which only one or two fields are ones I actually want. Any other fields I try to pass into the spreadsheet (outside of what is in the Output in Step 2) is ignored and left blank in the spreadsheet.

What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to accomplish my objective? Thank you in advance!

Hey @Keymaker,

By default the Get a Contact module only returns a handful of items.

A solution for your problem would be to use the Make an API Call module instead. Here you an address the Contacts endpoint /crm/v3/objects/contacts/{contactID}. Using that, you can add properties to the Query string:

This will then return those properties:

Please note, that if the property is empty, it will not be shown. Hubspot doesn’t return empty ones.

3 Likes

That’s annoying. Okay, I’ll try making an API call instead and will follow-up once I’ve had a chance to implement. Thank you!

It worked, thank you! Any tips for getting an Association from the Contact? For example, the Contact Owner? I’ve tried ‘properties=contact_owner’ but it hasn’t worked for me yet.

Found the solution to how to get the Contact Owner:

1. Add a query parameter (“properties”:“hubspot_owner_id”) to get the Contact Owner’s object ID (source)
  2. Create a second HubSpot API call to fetch details about the Contact Owner (such as name/email) (endpoint: /crm/v3/owners/{ownerId} (source))

Pull records into the GSheet module with data from both preceding steps.

2 Likes

Heya @Keymaker welcome to the community :wave:

I am just quickly stepping in to say congrats on getting the ball rolling with the assistance of @NolaDigital :muscle:

Thank you very much for circling back and sharing what did the trick for the benefit of the community. This could prove incredibly helpful to many :pray:

Just FYI: I marked your last comment as a solution to keep the community organized and easy to look for answers :white_check_mark:

2 Likes