Twitch to Telegram Scenario Help Needed - Telegram HTML Issue

I’m new to Make. I was previously using IFTTT with a custom Twitch & Telegram Messenger integration that would send a post to a Telegram group whenever my Twitch stream went live. It worked, but IFTTT has a 1 hour polling time which was frustrating.

A friend just told me about Make (and this article) to get better Twitch > Telegram live stream notifications.

I have the scenario working but I’m trying to figure out how I can insert certain stream details into the Text that gets sent to Telegram.

Right now I just have the “Channel Name” working but I want to be able to also send (from Twitch) the Title of my Stream (and, optionally, the Category (ie: current game streaming.))

Is that possible to do? This is what my Telegram config looks like:

Hi @tangles ,
I don’t have personal experience with this, but most likely you should be abel to retrieve tihs data with the “List Streams” module. When you add this module after the “watch streams”, the moment your stream becomes live it will also run this module and probably give you the right data.

3 Likes

You rock! Thank you so much for the help.

2 Likes

Bumping this again as I need a little more help with the formatting of the message sent to Telegram.

I was using Markdown for the parse type but I want to use HTML now. If I select HTML as the parse type in the Telegram module and configure the message according to the screenshot, The only thing I’m seeing in the message is the variables and the text, but nothing in HTML tags. What am I doing wrong?

You are already using HTML in there. For example your is a Link Tag. The semantic tagging is pretty similar.

If you cmd+c this into an online editor (https://html5-editor.net/) you can work with this and design the text easier. Make variables will be converted to e.g. {{3.Titel}}.

2 Likes

What I’m saying is that the HTML is not coming through in Telegram. I’m confused as to why not. This is what I see in Telegram channel. Note that the Game Name is not coming through, nor is the Title. The Channel Name and URL link are though. Not sure how to get the others to parse correctly. Thanks for the help thus far.
PrtScr capture_3

Only these tags are possible in Telegram API.

<b>bold</b>, <strong>bold</strong>
<i>italic</i>, <em>italic</em>
<u>underline</u>, <ins>underline</ins>
<s>strikethrough</s>, <strike>strikethrough</strike>, <del>strikethrough</del>
<b>bold <i>italic bold <s>italic bold strikethrough</s> <u>underline italic bold</u></i> bold</b>
<a href="http://www.example.com/">inline URL</a>
<a href="tg://user?id=123456789">inline mention of a user</a>
<code>inline fixed-width code</code>
<pre>pre-formatted fixed-width code block</pre>
<pre><code class="language-python">pre-formatted fixed-width code block written in the Python programming language</code></pre>

Find more infos here: Styled text with message entities and here Telegram Bot API

3 Likes

I was using only the bold (or strong) and italic tags, but as you can see from my screenshot, nothing inside the open / close tags was showing up. Is it because I was using the variable picker, and instead I should be using {{3.Title}} or something?

Could it be this bug?

{{3.Title}} should not be the problem.

I’m using the Telegram for Windows desktop client in this case, so I doubt it’s related to iOS

I don’t know what I did differently, but I just tested my code again with HTML parsing and it came through fine in Telegram. Sigh. Maybe it was a weird bug with Telegram or something.

Thanks again for all the help. I am seeing bold and italicized text (and href tag) in my Telegram message now using HTML instead of Markdown. Huzzah!

2 Likes

In Make, you can indeed insert certain stream details into the text that gets sent to Telegram. To include the title of your stream and the category (if available), you can use placeholders or variables in the message text.

Here’s an example of how you can modify your message text to include the stream details:

“Hey everyone! {channel_name} just went live on Twitch with the stream titled {stream_title}. They are currently streaming {stream_category}.”

In this example, {channel_name}, {stream_title}, and {stream_category} are placeholders that will be replaced with the actual values when the message is sent to Telegram. Make should have documentation or guides on how to use placeholders or variables for message customization.

Make sure you set up the necessary triggers and actions in Make to fetch the stream details from Twitch and pass them to the Telegram message.

By the way, I was just reading an article about how to create a live streaming website. It’s not exactly on topic, but I really liked it. Perhaps someone will be interested in this topic

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

1 Like