Long red dress - Maria

I want the meta title to become:
Long red dress - mybrandname

To do that, I need Make to:

• Read a product’s title
  • remove everything after the symbol “-”
  • add “Mybrandname”
  • copy the result into the field “meta title”

But I really don’t see how I can make Make even read a product title. It seems so easy but I spent hours and I couldn’t find anyting, i’m so frustrated and quite desperate now… Can anyone help?

Thank you for your help
Julie

Welcome to the Make community!

You can use the built-in function split and first to get the first part of the title.

e.g.:

{{first(split(1.title; " - "))}} - Mybrandname

Screenshot_2024-04-24_191356

For more information, see https://www.make.com/en/help/functions/string-functions.html#split--text--separator-

samliewrequest private consultation

1 Like

You really don’t need ChatGPT here, as @samliew highlighted, it’s very easy to solve this with the built-in features of Make. Such as the elegant solution mentioned.

Ofcourse, it’ll start with your “Get a product” module, which you have to feed a Shopify product ID.

And then in the “Update a Product” module, you can just use @samliew’s solution to update it inline. Only 2 modules needed :wink:

Thomas
Nola Digital

2 Likes

@samliew @NolaDigital Thank you both for your replies, it works! But I still have some other issues:

• We have 900 products. How do I make it work in bulk on all of them? Is there a way to preview what will be done before really doing it?

• I also want to update the Meta description following this scenario (might require chatGPT this time):

1. Get the existing meta description
  2. Improve the existing meta desc by using blablabla to increase our CTR (I’ll change the prompt). A preview will be very nice before really updating the products’s meta desc

Thank you for your help,
Julie

There’s not really a way to bulk do stuff using the API. They usually work on single items at a time (e.g.: get single product, update single product).

It’s best if you can actually export a CSV of all the products in a Shopify store, then manually change them, and export them back, or use a bulk editor UI, like Matrixify - Matrixify - Bulk Import Export Update Migrate | Shopify App Store.

2 Likes

An option here could be to use the “search product” module and see if you can get them all using that. Or if it would require paginating through all the products until you get all 900 of them.

To my knowledge, there’s no “real” preview option available. You can’t just dry-run it and see how it’ll end up looking.

What you could do, if you want that manual validation, is first have Make do the changes, but send everything to a Sheet, Airtable or Smartsuite solution. Where you can then validate/doublecheck all the edits.

And then trigger a secondary flow, that uses this data and updates the articles on Shopify. It’ll cost more in terms of operations, but you still have that “human” validation over it.

2 Likes

About what you said “An option here could be to use the “search product” module and see if you can get them all using that. Or if it would require paginating through all the products until you get all 900 of them.”

Is there a way to use several “Product type” in the “search product” module? for example like on the screenshot by adding a comma or something else? (or “all products” created after one specific date)