Upgraded from free, unclear how operation counts work

Anyone else have issues with upgrading from a free account and then running out out of operations because it wasn’t clear how the operations get used and you’re constantly being asked to upgrade? How was your experience with customer support? I’ve liked the service but can’t justify the payment for lack of clarity and no ability to reach a human for support.

Ive been a make customer for half a decade, my experience with their customer support has always been way above the industry average.

where have you been trying to reach out to them? which plan are you on?

1 Like

In my early days of using make, it took me sometime to learn how to test automation flows, without blowing through operation credits. I dont know if they still do this, but on my first mistake when I blew through 200,000 +/- operations in 100 seconds +/- on a test run, they re-credited my account. they were very understanding and gave me tips to not repeat the same error.

The basic way to understand what an operation is.
Every action, if you iterate through a data set and store it in a make datastore, every row of data you add to the data store is a operation. (same with every row you add to a google sheet)

everytime a module/node is called to do an action, that is an operation.

if you structure your automations in specific ways (such as using importcsv() to add 200 rows of data to a google sheet, instead of adding it 1 row at a time. you can save operations.

1 Like

I’m on a 10,000 plan. Hoping I’ll get a similar response and remain a customer. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Hi @ryankk,

The best way to see which scenario is consuming your operations is to go to your scenario list and look for the number of operations used since the last billing date, like this:

Then you can drill down per execution by checking at the scenario history, like that.

This can be useful if to see detect issues like a specific run that used way too many operations or a scenario using too many operations for each run.

Lastly Make consumes 1 operation every time the watch module runs, regardless of the module generating bundles. So if you use a watch module that runs every 15 min you will use a minimum of 96/operations/day, 3456 operations/month.

So if you have 3 scenarios checking for a new email on an inbox that never gets an email, for example, you would still use about 10,000 operations in a month.

There are many ways to optimize your operations usage but that is another topic altogether. Once you have identified how your operations are used then you can start optmizing.

3 Likes