Watch Outlook email does not find new emails in watch folder

I have a scenario that watches a specific Outlook folder. The goal is that when Make finds new emails, it sends them off to an Airtable table that is set up to receive email data. It works some of the time. It fails most of the time. I can find no rhyme or reason to why Make sometimes grabs the “new” emails (Make is set to grab all new emails, whether read or unread, on a schedule) but mostly fails to do anything with them. When it works, it’s great. There are no errors. Make just . . . doesn’t. I know it fails because I can see the emails in the Outlook folder, and I can see the emails in Airtable, and most of those in Outlook are not in Airtable.

Thanks for any pointers.

P.S. as far as I can tell, there is no way in Make to “reset” its assessment of whether it has seen a given email in the watch folder. Make is obviously tracking which emails it has seen - otherwise it would fill the Airtable destination with duplicate emails, which it does not do. But it would be nice if Make made that process more transparent and modifiable.

Welcome to the Make community!

1. First, try to reset the queue.

Go to the Epoch Panel, by right-clicking on the trigger module (polling triggers only), and select “Choose where to start” from the list of options in the context menu.

If you select “From now on”, the next time the scenario runs it will only return new data (or nothing if there is no new data).

For more information, see

2. Check if the number of items processed is reasonable

Increase this number if your scenario is not running frequently, as it might not be processing enough new emails.

2 Likes

That did it! Thanks for the help. And afterward, Make seemed to have reset itself to watch from today onward, which is a nice touch.

No problem, glad I could help! :slight_smile:

1. If you have a new question in the future, please start a new thread. This makes it easier for others with the same problem to search for the answers to specific questions, and you are more likely to receive help since newer questions are monitored closely.

2. The Make Community guidelines encourages users to try to mark helpful replies as solutions to help keep the Community organized.

This marks the topic as solved, so that:

others can save time when catching up with the latest activity here, and

• allows others to quickly jump to the solution if they come across the same problem

To do this, simply click the checkbox at the bottom of the post that answers your question:
Screenshot_2023-10-04_161049

3. Don’t forget to like and bookmark this topic so you can find the instructions easily in future!

2 Likes

Something else seems to have gone awry. I thought Make would take emails based on when it last checked the folder, but it seems to be ignoring selected emails now even when I try this fix (“Choose where to start - From now on”). I even tried manually processing some emails but they returned null values. I did not think Make cared if the email in question was old - in fact I know it has sent many old emails over to Airtable. But it is suddenly skipping SOME emails but not others. Very strange.

Hey @Doug_Grauel and @samliew I am experiencing the same issue with Make and the Watch Outlook messages. It is skipping emails at random for my clients. any solution?

@Only_sav Welcome to the Make community!

For quicker assistance with bugs and technical problems, you may want to contact support directly. They respond very quickly and update you frequently on the status of their investigation.

Hope you can share the resolution with us if you manage to solve this problem!

2 Likes

It seemed to resolve itself. I got tips to right-click on the “watch Outlook folder” module

and then work with the “choose where to start” part until it worked. I think it was challenged by having some old emails dumped into the “watch” folder on Outlook but I am just keeping an eye on it to see if it settles into consistency with new emails.