Will the recent Twitter announcement re API pricing affect Make?

Will the recent Twitter announcement regarding API pricing affect Make?

Especially concerned about existing running scenarios.

Of course it will affect the Make app. You will need to purchase a plan and your existing scenarios most likely will stop functioning if you don’t. The Make Twitter app may even need to be updated, but that’s uncertain.

1 Like

I think you misread or misinterpreted my question.

I’ve had a paid Integromat plan and moved to a paid Make plan from the start.

I understand from previous updates from Make (when Twitter was made a “premium” app) that Make’s Twitter integration app uses the Twitter API. I’m not aware that the Make Twitter integration makes use of a user’s free Twitter API calls.

Perhaps you could reread my question and provide a relevant response. :slight_smile:

Your context was not in the original post though.

When I said purchase a plan, I meant purchase a paid Twitter API plan, not Make.

I don’t think the Twitter app in Make will be able to make any free Twitter API calls, since there will be no free Twitter API any longer.

I created a test scenario to run on Feb 10 at 8:25am to see if it breaks then as I do not have a paid Twitter API plan on my authenticated account.

Back in 2020, when Integromat made the decision to make Twitter a premium app, part of the reasoning given was to abide by Twitter’s API rules and spam considerations. It was strongly implied, if not made 100% clear, that the Twitter app in integromat would make use of a premium Twitter API access and the API calls would go through the integromat app. That does seem to be born out by the connection process and authorization for the integromat app in Twitter.

By that reasoning, it would be right to expect that Make/Integromat would absorb any costs since customers are already paying for this (and it’s not even clear yet if Twitter premium API costs will increase).

It would seem odd if it turned out that Integromat’s Twitter app simply relayed a to the user’s Twitter account for API calls if Integromat made claims to the opposite in 2020.

Perhaps it’s best to wait until an official Make representative can comment?

We could be waiting a while. All will be revealed on Feb 9/10th or so when the Twitter app either keeps working or breaks waiting for a paid account.

Zapier support has emailed us and said their platform (for paid users) won’t be affected. Let’s just hope Make’s stance is the same.


Make team, can we get a response on this?

We tried to contact Make support a number of times. After five days they responded:

“I am sorry but we didn’t get more information from Twitter than you so at this time we don’t have any information. We are on it with developers to find a way how to solve this matter and we will notify you asap.”

That response was 6 days ago.

So, since there didn’t seem to be any other option, we copied over all our Twitter-reliant operations onto Zapier and Buffer who have both announced they will be unaffected. We’ve kept the (now) dormant scenarios on Make in the hope they have actually paid for the enterprise API access that they strongly implied they had secured back when the Integromat Twitter module was made “premium” only two or three years ago.

Hey everyone @here :wave: Thanks a lot for bringing this up in the community.

Our Twitter app functions through Twitter Standard API v1.1 so changes to other Twitter APIs do not affect us. At the same time, we currently don’t have any information about changes to Twitter Standard API v1.1 and our app continues working as before. If we learn about any new developments in the situation, we’ll make sure to update everyone.


Hi Michaela, I noticed that Twitter is now listed as a premium app. Is that a change since Twitter cut off free API access? Does that mean that Make is providing the API key, or do users have to bring their own API credentials to use Twitter integrations?

Hello @lc thanks for raising these questions!

Twitter has been a premium app on Integromat/Make for quite a while now so no, this is not related to Twitter’s recent decision to cut off free API access.

I’d like to inform you that Make will not be providing any key. Please note that in order to use Twitter on Make, you need API access from your Twitter account. If there’s a fee associated with this access, payment is necessary and not handled on our end.

I have tried running twitter scenarios today i get 401 error
If I try to reauthorize my twitter connection same error
Is there a fix in progress?

Heya @Jean-Philippe_Borel please see

Thanks for the guidance.
Has this issue something to do with the recent changes in the paid plans from Twitter to their users for API usage?

Hi Jean-Philippe. As far as we can tell, not really, but we’re yet to understand why Twitter suspended our app without any clarification.

It is still possible to use the Twitter API for free, but we can’t really guarantee that it will remain so for long. We’re doing our best to get our app back up and running, and we’re parallelly working on a new app using API v2 - though we’re still waiting on Twitter to even begin discussing pricing options.

edit to clarify: Twitter announced free usage would no longer be supported multiple weeks ago, which is clearly not true since it is still working. So we don’t really know their plans yet and are waiting to hear more from them


With the recent events of Microsoft refusing to pay the monthly 42K$ plan (50M tweets) for usage of the Twitter API, what is Make’s position?

We don’t have an official position at the moment because Twitter still hasn’t gotten back to us. We have questions about pricing and scalability to understand if paying for a subscription is valid for us, but I don’t have an answer at the moment.

We’ll notify everyone through email once we know what changes will be made, and once we have more news regarding our app using API v2 which is currently being built.

I’m sorry I don’t have more to share at the moment.

I’m confused.

You said

our app using API v2 which is currently being built

How can you be building a v2 API app if you don’t already have a paid developer subscription?
Surely you can’t be building an app without knowing beforehand if you can afford to run it?

Make.com customers need more assurances.

I’m a little disappointed at the narrow band of information here.

I have a Twitter Dev account and have been building apps for years, so I’ve followed the dev forums and received the same email from Twitter that - presumably - the Make team has.

It is still possible to use the Twitter API for free

Yes on the v1.1 API apps - until 30th April after which it will be turned off completely (Source email from Twitter Dev)

We’re doing our best to get our app back up and running

Nope. Your v1.1 API app has been blocked by Twitter, as has everyone other Twitter developer using v1.1, on a rolling program. Source: email from Twitter Dev and Twitter Dev forum.

we’re parallelly working on a new app using API v2 - though we’re still waiting on Twitter to even begin discussing pricing options.

That’s very strange. Either Make has signed up for one of the paid subscription tiers or it hasn’t. Which is it? Enterprise account approval has - from what I’ve heard from colleagues in the industry - has been very quick.

Twitter announced free usage would no longer be supported multiple weeks ago, which is clearly not true since it is still working

No, Twitter announced that v1.1 would be deprecated. It then sent emails to developers stating 1.1 would be fully turned off on 30th April.

we don’t really know their plans yet

Twitter’s plans are pretty clear and transparent. They announced last year v1.1 would be deprecated in March 2023. In March 2023 they told app developers by email v1.1 would be turned off fully by 30th April and to move apps to v2 API. Twitter announced paid tiers for developers, and most large-use apps would require enterprise.